Ackman Walks Back ‘Conflict of Interest’ Claims Against Commerce Secretary

Billionaire investor Bill Ackman retracted his criticism of US Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick on Tuesday, backing away from allegations of conflict of interest he had made amid tensions over the Trump administration’s sweeping new tariffs.

“I don’t think he is pursuing his self-interest. I am sure he is doing the best he can for the country,” Ackman wrote on X, reversing course after previously suggesting Lutnick’s financial interests could benefit from market turmoil.

Ackman, who heads Pershing Square Capital Management, had taken aim at Lutnick in a Sunday post, claiming the Commerce Secretary’s firm was “levered long fixed income” and writing that Lutnick “profits when our economy implodes,” describing it as an “irreconcilable conflict of interest.”

The unusual public criticism of a cabinet member by a prominent financial backer of President Donald Trump came as markets reeled from the implementation of Trump’s tariff plan, which imposes a baseline 10% duty on imports from approximately 180 countries.

Lutnick, the former chief executive of brokerage Cantor Fitzgerald who was confirmed as Commerce Secretary earlier this year, has helped craft the administration’s trade policy. According to sources familiar with the matter, Ackman’s post about Lutnick contributed to ongoing discussions about security at Cantor’s Manhattan headquarters.

Ackman, who donated over $419,000 to Trump’s campaign and appeared at a Hamptons fundraiser with the president last year, has faced market pressure on his own investments. His fund holds positions in companies like Nike that have been hit by tariff concerns, with shares in Nike specifically falling on worries it might need to raise sneaker prices due to its reliance on Vietnamese manufacturing.

Following his retreat from criticizing Lutnick, Ackman also clarified his position on the tariffs, saying he remains “totally supportive” of Trump’s trade strategy while advocating for a 30-90 day implementation pause to allow for negotiations.


Information for this story was found via the sources and companies mentioned. The author has no securities or affiliations related to the organizations discussed. Not a recommendation to buy or sell. Always do additional research and consult a professional before purchasing a security. The author holds no licenses.

Video Articles

The Smart Money is Doubling Down | Fokus Mining & Gold Candle

The Silver Story That Could Surprise the Market | Dan Earle – Highlander Silver

Gold Fueled Agnico Eagle’s Best Year Ever | Q4 2025 Earnings

Recommended

Goliath Resources Sees 13% Grade Boost As Stifel Draws Parallels To Great Bear

First Majestic Q4 2025: Record Revenue, Earnings, Annual Silver Output

Related News

Did Trump Get Duped By Japan?

The touted trade agreement between the US and Japan is swiftly unraveling amid growing disputes...

Tuesday, July 29, 2025, 12:58:00 PM

EDC: Recession For Canada In 2025 Due To Trump Tariffs, Trade Conflicts

Export Development Canada says the country will enter a technical recession in 2025, citing President...

Friday, October 17, 2025, 07:37:00 AM

Ontario Premier Vows to Ban Chinese State Firms from Energy Projects

Ontario Premier Doug Ford pledged on Monday to block Chinese state-owned enterprises from investing in...

Tuesday, February 11, 2025, 12:04:00 PM

Teck Mining Pivots to Asian Markets as Trump Tariffs Hit Canadian Exports

Canadian mining company Teck (NYSE: TECK) is preparing to shift its zinc exports from the...

Thursday, March 6, 2025, 12:55:00 PM

US-China: Trump Says Xi Just Had “Bad Moment” On Tariff, Rare Earth Control Confusion

US–China tariff risk shifted from a threatened 100% levy to mixed de-escalation signals after Beijing...

Monday, October 13, 2025, 12:24:00 PM