Canada Plans Immigration Measures to Attract H-1B Workers

Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney said Saturday his government will soon introduce measures to attract skilled foreign workers displaced by the United States’ new H-1B visa restrictions.

Speaking to reporters in London, Carney said his government is examining ways to make Canada more attractive to skilled tech workers who might otherwise have sought opportunities in the United States.

“What is clear is that the opportunity to attract people who previously would’ve got so-called H-1B visas,” Carney said, adding that many workers are in the tech sector and willing to relocate. “We will have an offering on this soon.”

The announcement comes days after the Trump administration imposed a $100,000 fee on new H-1B visa applications. President Donald Trump signed the executive order on September 19, with the new fee taking effect September 21. The White House later clarified the fee applies only to new visa petitions, not renewals or existing holders.

The H-1B visa program allows US employers to hire foreign workers in specialty occupations requiring at least a bachelor’s degree. Major tech companies, including Amazon, Microsoft, Meta, Apple, and Google, are among the largest sponsors of H-1B workers.

Workers from India represent about 72% of H-1B visa holders. India’s Ministry of External Affairs warned the US measure “is likely to have humanitarian consequences by way of the disruption caused for families.”

Canada offers several work permit options for highly skilled workers, including the Global Talent Stream, which has no quota system, unlike the US H-1B program.

Carney did not provide specific details about the timeline or structure of Canada’s planned immigration offering.



Information for this story was found via the sources and companies mentioned. The author has no securities or affiliations related to the organizations discussed. Not a recommendation to buy or sell. Always do additional research and consult a professional before purchasing a security. The author holds no licenses.

Video Articles

Eldorado Gold: The $3.8 Billion Foran Mining Acquisition

Silver Tiger’s $2.35B Silver Blueprint: Two Mines, One Perfect Metals Market

Gold Is At Records. Barrick Mining Is Printing Cash. The Stock Still Fell. | Q4 Earnings

Recommended

Canadian Copper Plans 2,500 Metre Drill Program For 2026

Mercado Receives Permits For Planned 3,000 Metre Drill Program At Copalito

Related News

China Boosts Canadian Oil Imports as Trade War With US Intensifies

Chinese refiners have slashed US oil purchases by 90% while importing record volumes of Canadian...

Friday, April 18, 2025, 12:40:00 PM

More Flames? Canada’s Unprecedented Wildfire Crisis Reignites During Summer Months

Canada is grappling with its most devastating wildfire season to date, with over 33.4 million...

Monday, August 14, 2023, 01:41:35 PM

Value of Building Permits Slumped 2.1% in August

The total value of Canadian building permits was down 2.1% in August, as residential permits...

Tuesday, October 5, 2021, 02:19:00 PM

US, Canada Among The Slowest In Mine Development Timelines, New Report Shows

A recent report by S&P Global reveals that the United States has the second-longest average...

Saturday, July 27, 2024, 09:22:00 AM

Canada’s Labour Market Gains Slowing Down as Unemployment Rate Declines by 0.7% in August

It appears that Canada’s labour market continues to rebound from its coronavirus-induced historic slump of...

Friday, September 4, 2020, 03:41:37 PM