Ford Pulls 2025 Outlook as Auto Tariffs Expected to Slash Profits

Ford Motor Company (NYSE: F) has suspended its full-year financial guidance for 2025, projecting that President Donald Trump’s auto tariffs will reduce its adjusted earnings by approximately $1.5 billion this year.

The automaker announced the forecast withdrawal on Monday while reporting first-quarter profits that exceeded analyst expectations. Ford posted adjusted earnings of 14 cents per share, outperforming the 4-cent loss analysts had predicted, with profits of $471 million.

The carmaker enumerated seven contributing factors behind the decision to pull the forecast, with key concerns centering around potential manufacturing disruptions across the industry due to Trump’s trade policies and concerns that tariff rates might be increased in future rounds.

Chief Financial Officer Sherry House said the company faces a total tariff impact of about $2.5 billion, though Ford expects to offset $1 billion through supply chain adjustments, including using bonded transportation to shield parts from tariffs as they cross international borders.

“Our teams have done a lot to minimize the impact of tariffs on our business,” House said during a conference call with reporters.

The company’s tariff exposure is less severe than competitors like General Motors (NYSE: GM), which last week cut its own profit outlook and projected a $5 billion tariff impact. Ford produces approximately 80% of its US-sold vehicles domestically, limiting some exposure.

Despite some relief measures announced by Trump last week, including a two-year phase-in period for auto parts tariffs, Ford executives expect vehicle pricing to rise later in 2025 as the tariffs reverberate through the industry.

CEO Jim Farley said Ford will delay price increases until it sees how competitors respond to the added costs. They plan to provide an updated outlook when they report second-quarter earnings.



Information for this story was found via the sources and companies mentioned. The author has no securities or affiliations related to the organizations discussed. Not a recommendation to buy or sell. Always do additional research and consult a professional before purchasing a security. The author holds no licenses.

Video Articles

First Majestic Q1 Earnings: A Bang Up Quarter

Copper’s Structural Shortage May Be Here to Stay | Colin Joudrie – Selkirk Copper

Why Barrick’s “Strong” Quarter Wasn’t So Strong | Q1 2026 Earnings

Recommended

Questcorp Wraps Expanded Drone Survey at La Union as Summer Drilling Approaches

Altamira Gold Extends Maria Bonita Footprint with 110 Metre Step-Out

Related News

‘We Are In Shock’: Israel Hit with 17% US Tariff Despite Last-Minute Duty Elimination

Israel will face a 17% tariff on its exports to the United States as part...

Friday, April 4, 2025, 10:38:00 AM

Trump Tariffs Vs. Supreme Court Part 2

Trump’s latest tariff regime is back in court less than two months after the Supreme...

Friday, April 10, 2026, 10:32:24 AM

Canada Responds With Retaliatory Tariffs on Nearly $30 Billion US Imports

Canada is preparing to impose retaliatory tariffs on $30 billion worth of US imports in...

Thursday, March 13, 2025, 02:07:00 PM

U.S. House Democrats Propose Generally Positive Changes to Electric Vehicle Purchase Incentives

On September 10, Democratic members of the U.S. House Ways and Means Committee proposed updated...

Monday, September 13, 2021, 01:30:00 PM

Trump Pauses Tariffs On Non-Retaliating Countries, Bumps China Tariffs To 125% Effective Immediately

The markets have finally received some relief today, with US President Donald Trump this afternoon...

Wednesday, April 9, 2025, 01:33:37 PM