Tuesday, February 17, 2026

Joly Threatens Stellantis Suit Over US Shift After Billions In Subsidy Fails To Bind

  • Stellantis will add 3,300 US jobs by 2027 under a US$13B plan; Ottawa’s answer is a legal warning after years of subsidies.

Industry Minister Mélanie Joly threatened legal action against Stellantis less than 24 hours after the automaker announced a shift in Jeep Compass production from Brampton, Ontario, to Belvidere, Illinois.

In a letter to CEO Antonio Filosa, Joly said Ottawa would “exercise all options, including legal,” if obligations tied to government funding are not met—a notably after-the-fact remedy, arriving post-announcement.

Joly argued that the automaker failed to keep the firm’s “full Canadian footprint,” which could constitute contractual default despite billions in public support.

Stellantis announced the shift Tuesday as part of a US$13-billion US expansion over four years, projecting 3,300 US jobs by 2027, while leaving about 3,000 Brampton workers affected.

“We’ve invested millions of dollars in that facility… if they don’t do so, we’ll hold them to account,” Joly said, highlighting she spoke with Filosa and emphasized taxpayers’ stake.

In 2022, Stellantis committed $3.6 billion to retool Brampton and Windsor for EV and battery programs, backed by $1.4 billion from Ottawa and Ontario for a $5 billion total. Joly’s letter cites legal obligations under the Strategic Innovation Fund and the Special Contribution Agreement with NextStar Energy (Stellantis–LG Energy Solution) that “must be respected.”

She asks Stellantis to quickly identify new mandates for Brampton, extend the Unifor transition program through at least 2027, and honor Canadian supplier contracts. It is worth noting that these conditions, by timing, are seemingly being pressed after the Jeep move, not embedded before in the agreement.

Brampton operations were paused in February amid threats from President Donald Trump to impose tariffs on Canadian goods and work has not resumed since. Earlier this year, Trump imposed a 25% tariff on all vehicle imports to the US with a carve-out for American-made parts in CUSMA-compliant vehicles.

While Joly flags the “complex” tariff backdrop, she still insists prior commitments must prevail.

Ontario Premier Doug Ford said Stellantis assured him Brampton will continue operating, with a one-year postponement and a plan to “find a new model.” He added that a third shift in Windsor could allow 1,500 of the 3,000 impacted Brampton employees to transfer.

Stellantis, in a statement to CTV News Toronto, called Canada “very important,” while citing the third shift at Windsor Assembly to meet demand for Chrysler Pacifica and new Dodge Charger variants.

“We have plans for Brampton and will share them upon further discussions with the Canadian government,” the company said.

The broader wager is significant: commentators note up to $15 billion was allocated by the government for the Stellantis–LG NextStar battery plant (2023) and up to $52.5 billion across 13 EV projects as of April 2024.


Information for this story was found via CTV News and the sources and companies mentioned. The author has no securities or affiliations related to the organizations discussed. Not a recommendation to buy or sell. Always do additional research and consult a professional before purchasing a security. The author holds no licenses.

Video Articles

Eldorado Gold: The $3.8 Billion Foran Mining Acquisition

Silver Tiger’s $2.35B Silver Blueprint: Two Mines, One Perfect Metals Market

Gold Is At Records. Barrick Mining Is Printing Cash. The Stock Still Fell. | Q4 Earnings

Recommended

Canadian Copper Plans 2,500 Metre Drill Program For 2026

Mercado Receives Permits For Planned 3,000 Metre Drill Program At Copalito

Related News

Stellantis to Shift Some Production to US Amid Trump Tariff Concerns

Automaker Stellantis NV (NYSE: STLA) will relocate some of its manufacturing from Mexico to the...

Friday, May 2, 2025, 12:10:00 PM

Stellantis and Canada Resolve Battery Plant Dispute

Stellantis NV has reached a mutually beneficial agreement with Canada, bringing an end to their...

Thursday, July 6, 2023, 11:22:00 AM

Stellantis Halts Windsor Battery Plant Construction After Liberal Government Fails to Deliver Promised Funding

EV maker Stellantis has indefinitely halted construction at its $5 billion battery manufacturing site in...

Monday, May 15, 2023, 02:46:01 PM

After Joly Said “Look” At Stellantis Contracts, Deputy Says She Didn’t

Industry Minister Mélanie Joly is facing scrutiny after her deputy told a Commons committee she...

Thursday, November 27, 2025, 02:18:00 PM

Stellantis to Cut 1,100 Jobs at Ohio Jeep Plant

Stellantis (NYSE: STLA) announced Wednesday the layoff of approximately 1,100 workers at its Toledo, Ohio...

Thursday, November 7, 2024, 06:56:33 AM