Tuesday, February 17, 2026

Pablo Rodriguez Steps Down as Quebec Liberal Leader After Vote-Buying Allegations

Pablo Rodriguez resigned as Quebec Liberal Party leader on Wednesday, ending a tumultuous six-month tenure marked by allegations of campaign finance violations and vote-buying schemes.

The Liberal caucus learned of Rodriguez’s decision during a virtual meeting on Wednesday afternoon. He planned to hold a news conference on Thursday morning to address his departure.

The resignation comes less than a year before Quebec’s scheduled October 2026 provincial election and follows weeks of mounting pressure from party members. Radio-Canada sources said Rodriguez concluded his continued leadership had become detrimental to the party’s prospects.

The crisis began on November 18 when Rodriguez suspended Liberal MNA Marwah Rizqy from caucus and removed her as parliamentary leader after she fired her chief of staff without consulting him. Days later, Le Journal de Montréal published alleged text messages suggesting some party members received $100 to vote for Rodriguez in the June leadership race.

Quebec’s anti-corruption police force, known as UPAC, opened a criminal investigation into the party last week, though officials did not specify what they were investigating.

The situation intensified on Tuesday when Le Journal de Montréal reported that approximately 20 donors to Rodriguez’s leadership campaign received envelopes containing $500 in cash to reimburse their donations during an April fundraising event. Quebec’s Election Act states that contributions “must be made voluntarily, without compensation and for no consideration, and may not be reimbursed in any way.”

In a statement, the Liberal Party confirmed Rodriguez attended the event but maintained that neither he nor his team had knowledge of any payouts. The party said it identified the event’s host and has mandated a lawyer to file a formal notice with UPAC and the chief electoral officer.

Rodriguez left a long career in federal politics in September 2024, where he served as transport minister, heritage minister, and Quebec lieutenant under Prime Minister Justin Trudeau. He won the Quebec Liberal leadership in June with 52.3% of the vote, defeating businessman Charles Milliard.

The Quebec Liberals currently form the Official Opposition to Premier François Legault’s Coalition Avenir Québec government. The sovereigntist Parti Québécois has led in polls for months while support for Legault’s CAQ has declined.

Milliard and runner-up Karl Blackburn, who challenged Rodriguez in June, will likely compete for the leadership again, political observers say. Federal Finance Minister François-Philippe Champagne ruled out a leadership bid on Wednesday, saying his focus remains on federal responsibilities.

The party faces the challenge of selecting a new leader and preparing for an election that must occur by October 2026, though it could be called earlier.



Information for this story was found via the sources and companies mentioned. The author has no securities or affiliations related to the organizations discussed. Not a recommendation to buy or sell. Always do additional research and consult a professional before purchasing a security. The author holds no licenses.

Video Articles

Eldorado Gold: The $3.8 Billion Foran Mining Acquisition

Silver Tiger’s $2.35B Silver Blueprint: Two Mines, One Perfect Metals Market

Gold Is At Records. Barrick Mining Is Printing Cash. The Stock Still Fell. | Q4 Earnings

Recommended

Canadian Copper Plans 2,500 Metre Drill Program For 2026

Mercado Receives Permits For Planned 3,000 Metre Drill Program At Copalito

Related News

Briefing Note Promoted Quebec LNG Project, But Company Met Only Junior Staff

Internal government documents show federal bureaucrats promoted a Norwegian company’s proposal to build a major...

Monday, October 6, 2025, 02:14:00 PM

Appetite for Apatite: Quebec Adds Apatite to Critical Minerals List

Quebec has unveiled its ambitious 2023-2025 Action Plan, building upon the Quebec Plan for the...
Wednesday, January 24, 2024, 03:01:00 PM

‘Not Through Our Backyard’: Quebec’s Blanchet Rejects Pipeline Needed by Atlantic Canada

Bloc Québécois leader Yves-François Blanchet rejected a proposal to transport western Canadian oil through Quebec...

Wednesday, March 12, 2025, 08:14:51 AM

Quebec Gets $13.9B in Federal Transfers While Charging Half Ontario’s Electricity Rates

Quebec will receive $13.9 billion in federal equalization payments next year while maintaining electricity rates...

Wednesday, December 24, 2025, 02:07:00 PM

Canadian Governments To Provide $100 Million To IBM

The Canadian and Quebec governments are injecting close to $100 million into semiconductor manufacturing, doubling...

Saturday, April 27, 2024, 11:43:00 AM