X Emerges as Last Haven for Russian Disinformation, Leaked Documents Reveal

Recent investigations have uncovered that X has become the only remaining platform for Russian disinformation campaigns in the United States, as other major social media networks tighten their defenses against such operations.

The notorious Russian disinformation project known as Doppelganger, first uncovered in 2022, has been at the forefront of these efforts. Run by the Moscow-based Social Design Agency (SDA), the project specialized in creating fake news websites that mimicked legitimate news organizations, complete with stolen logos and journalist bylines.

While tech companies like Meta have aggressively worked to remove Doppelganger’s online presence, the project has persisted. In September, the US Department of Justice seized 32 Internet domains associated with the campaign and released an extensive FBI affidavit detailing the operation’s inner workings.

Related: DOJ Targets Russian Government-Sponsored Influence Campaign in the U.S.

The newly leaked documents, comprising over 3,000 files, provide insight into the planning and execution of one of the most significant disinformation efforts in the post-Cold War era. These files reveal not only tactical details but also deeper insights into the goals and methodologies of modern Russian disinformation campaigns.

Surprisingly — or, not really — the documents show that Elon Musk’s self-assigned global town square X has emerged as “the only mass platform that could currently be utilized” for disseminating disinformation in the US. Other major platforms, particularly those owned by Meta, have implemented robust measures to identify and remove such content.

The SDA’s internal reports highlight the challenges they faced on other platforms. Meta’s vigilant internal intelligence teams and relentless takedowns significantly blunted the project’s overall reach, forcing the disinformation operatives to scale back their efforts on Facebook and Instagram.


Information for this story was found via Foreign Affairs, and the sources and companies mentioned. The author has no securities or affiliations related to the organizations discussed. Not a recommendation to buy or sell. Always do additional research and consult a professional before purchasing a security. The author holds no licenses.

Video Articles

First Majestic Q1 Earnings: A Bang Up Quarter

Copper’s Structural Shortage May Be Here to Stay | Colin Joudrie – Selkirk Copper

Why Barrick’s “Strong” Quarter Wasn’t So Strong | Q1 2026 Earnings

Recommended

Power Metallic Pushes Deeper Into Saudi Arabia With Amaar Mining Tie-Up

Canada Confirms First Hantavirus Case Linked to MV Hondius Cruise Ship Outbreak

Related News

Elon Musk Prepares to Delete ‘Block’ Feature on Twitter

Elon Musk has once again made headlines with a controversial change to the platform previously...

Friday, August 18, 2023, 12:37:55 PM

SEC Probes Elon Musk Over Twitter Share Purchases

The US Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) is intensifying its efforts to secure testimony from...

Friday, October 6, 2023, 10:51:00 AM

Tucker Carlson Brings His Show To Twitter, And Elon Musk Says He Didn’t Sign A Deal

Tucker Carlson, former Fox News personality, has announced that he will bring a “new version”...

Wednesday, May 10, 2023, 12:08:00 PM

Ghana Claims Burkina Faso Paid Russia With A Mine To Fight Local Insurgency

Ghanaian President Nana Akufo-Addo said that the government of neighboring Burkina Faso gave Russian mercenaries...

Thursday, December 15, 2022, 08:00:00 AM

Smart Move Or Cry For Help? Russia To Create A “Natural Gas Hub” With Turkey

Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan announced on Wednesday that he and Russian President Vladimir Putin had...

Sunday, October 23, 2022, 09:00:00 AM