Convicted Human Smuggler Obtained New Canadian Passport Despite Court Order

A federal investigation has revealed that an admitted human smuggler received a new Canadian passport despite court orders requiring him to surrender his travel documents. RCMP investigators discovered the passport during a June 2023 search of Thesingarasan Rasiah’s Montreal home, where he was living under electronic monitoring.

The passport, issued by Service Canada on April 11, 2023, was obtained in violation of Rasiah’s release conditions stemming from a 2021 human smuggling arrest. Rasiah had previously surrendered his original passport to the RCMP and was explicitly forbidden from applying for new travel documents.

The case has exposed significant vulnerabilities in Canada’s passport system. Kelly Sundberg, associate professor of criminology at Mount Royal University, told CBC News that the current system is the “weak link in the security chain,” noting that passport screening operates independently from court and police databases. Sundberg recommends moving passport administration under the Canada Border Services Agency, which has direct access to law enforcement databases.

Rasiah’s criminal history includes multiple human smuggling-related offenses. He served 52 days in jail in 2008 for possessing two unauthorized Canadian passports, and in 2017, received an 18-month conditional sentence in Quebec for “counselling misrepresentation.” 

In September 2023, he received a 15-month jail sentence for smuggling a Sri Lankan national into Canada for $7,000. He was re-arrested in May on charges of leading an international smuggling network that moved hundreds across the Canada-U.S. border. Investigators have linked his organization to the deaths of nine people — two families from India and Romania, along with their boatman — who drowned in the St. Lawrence River in March 2023.

Conservative MP Tom Kmiec has called for an emergency meeting of the House of Commons’s citizenship and immigration committee to examine the case, requesting that Immigration Minister Marc Miller and passport officials explain the security breach.

Immigration Canada declined to comment on the case, citing privacy laws per CBC, but said they work with law enforcement regarding passport surrender orders.


Information for this story was found via CBC News, and the sources and companies mentioned. The author has no securities or affiliations related to the organizations discussed. Not a recommendation to buy or sell. Always do additional research and consult a professional before purchasing a security. The author holds no licenses.

Video Articles

Eldorado Gold: The $3.8 Billion Foran Mining Acquisition

Silver Tiger’s $2.35B Silver Blueprint: Two Mines, One Perfect Metals Market

Gold Is At Records. Barrick Mining Is Printing Cash. The Stock Still Fell. | Q4 Earnings

Recommended

Canadian Copper Plans 2,500 Metre Drill Program For 2026

Mercado Receives Permits For Planned 3,000 Metre Drill Program At Copalito

Related News

Federal Government Targets Fake Immigration Consultants

Federal authorities plan to introduce tougher enforcement measures targeting immigration consultant fraud, including expanded powers...

Tuesday, August 12, 2025, 08:14:37 AM

Saskatchewan Judge Declares Immigration a Privilege, Not a Right

A Saskatchewan judge has ruled that foreign nationals do not have an inherent right to...

Friday, July 25, 2025, 11:31:00 AM

Canada’s Inland Asylum Claims Surge Nearly 400% in Three Years

Canada is experiencing an unprecedented rise in inland asylum claims, with numbers approaching 100,000 in...

Monday, December 16, 2024, 06:56:11 AM

Canada Reopens Parents and Grandparents Sponsorship Program

Canada will begin sending invitations July 28 to nearly 18,000 people seeking to sponsor their...

Saturday, July 19, 2025, 09:04:00 AM

Canada Sets 2026 Study Permit Cap at 408,000

Canada will approve up to 408,000 study permits in 2026, continuing a trend of declining...

Saturday, January 10, 2026, 03:25:00 PM