DONE LIKE DINNER: Ontario Dumps $28.9M ‘Gravy Plane’ in Sharp Policy Reversal

Ontario Premier Doug Ford has reversed course on a $28.9 million private jet purchase, announcing plans to sell the Bombardier Challenger 650 just days after the deal was made public. The decision follows intense criticism from opposition leaders and advocacy groups over the expense during a time of economic strain for many Ontarians.

Ford acknowledged the public’s concerns in a statement on Sunday, admitting the timing was off for such a significant government expenditure.

“Despite the best of intentions, I have heard and agree that now is not the right time for the expense of a government plane,” he said. The province is now collaborating with Bombardier and other partners to offload the aircraft as swiftly as possible.

The pre-owned 2016 Challenger 650, previously owned by an individual in South America, was acquired directly from Bombardier with a capacity for up to 12 passengers and a spacious interior. Initially, Ford’s office justified the purchase as a means to facilitate his extensive travel within Ontario and to the United States, particularly to combat tariffs imposed by U.S. President Donald Trump and to attract investments.

The government had anticipated the jet would be operational by the end of July after security and mechanical checks confirmed no upgrades were needed.

Opposition leaders were quick to condemn the acquisition when it was revealed on Friday. NDP Leader Marit Stiles branded it a “gravy plane,” echoing a term Ford and his late brother Rob used during their time at Toronto City Hall to criticize government excess. “Ontarians are struggling, and the premier of this province thinks now is a great time to buy a private jet,” Stiles said.

Interim Ontario Liberal Leader John Fraser also weighed in, calling the purchase inefficient compared to chartering flights. He argued that the move reflected a disconnect from the financial realities facing residents. The backlash underscored broader frustrations with rising living costs across the province.

Ford emphasized his commitment to economic outreach despite the reversal. He pledged to continue building relationships with business and political leaders in Canada and the U.S. to secure jobs and investments for Ontario workers. The sale process for the $28.9 million jet is already underway, though no timeline for completion has been disclosed.

The episode marks a rare policy retreat for Ford, whose government had framed the jet as a tool for secure and flexible travel. With the Bombardier Challenger 650 now on the market, the financial impact of the aborted purchase remains unclear, including any potential losses or costs tied to the resale.


Information for this story was found via the sources and companies mentioned. The author has no securities or affiliations related to the organizations discussed. Not a recommendation to buy or sell. Always do additional research and consult a professional before purchasing a security. The author holds no licenses.

Leave a Reply

Video Articles

Agnico Q1 Earnings Results Overshadowed By A Sinking Gold Price

Why More People Are Starting to Feel Broke | Darrell Thomas – VRIC Media

Newmont Q1 Earnings: A Billion In Free Cash Flow… A Month!

Recommended

Selkirk Copper Strikes New Lens Beneath Old Pit, Launches 50,000 Metre Phase 2 Program

Silver47 Pulls High-Grade Gold and Silver Assays from Nevada Vein Network At Kennedy

Related News

Ontario Signs Free Trade Deals With Alberta, Saskatchewan, PEI

Ontario has signed agreements with Alberta, Prince Edward Island and Saskatchewan to remove barriers to...

Monday, June 2, 2025, 10:37:00 AM

Ontario’s Ford Says ‘Man Was I Wrong’ About Trump

Ontario Premier Doug Ford admitted he “was wrong” about Donald Trump as he imposed a...

Monday, March 10, 2025, 10:59:00 AM

Ontario Premier Urges Urgent Action on Critical Mineral Supplies

Ontario Premier Doug Ford is calling for a rapid acceleration in critical minerals production as...
Saturday, January 25, 2025, 01:19:00 PM

Carney Calls US Tariffs CUSMA Violations as Trump Renews 51st State Push

Prime Minister Mark Carney pushed back Thursday against White House pressure over a provincial ban...

Thursday, April 23, 2026, 11:07:46 PM

Doug Ford Promises 50-Cent Wage Increase in October

Doug Ford’s government is promising to hike Ontario’s minimum wage by 50 cents come early...

Thursday, April 7, 2022, 10:04:00 AM