EU Weighs Tech Restrictions in Response to US Tariff Threat

The European Union could restrict US tech companies’ access to European users if President Donald Trump imposes threatened tariffs on the bloc, the Financial Times reported Wednesday.

The EU might deploy its anti-coercion mechanism, a trade defense tool introduced in 2023, to counter anticipated Trump tariffs. Brussels suspects Trump aims to pressure the EU into letting the US take Greenland from Denmark and easing regulatory pressure on American tech companies.

“All options were on the table,” one EU official told FT, speaking on condition of anonymity. Another official said the bloc had not decided whether to target US services and intellectual property rights.

Read: Trump Threatens EU With New Tariffs 

Trump declared Sunday that tariffs “will definitely happen with the European Union.” The National Institute of Economic and Social Research warns a 10% US tariff on all imports could cut global growth by 1% over two years if trading partners retaliate.

Meta policy chief Joel Kaplan backed CEO Mark Zuckerberg’s view that EU fines, including Meta’s recent $840 million antitrust penalty, amount to “a tax or tariff on US companies.” Zuckerberg last month urged Trump to intervene against such EU penalties.

The EU’s anti-coercion tool, already used to deter Chinese import restrictions, would mark its first deployment against US services if activated.

China’s response to Trump tariffs

China, meanwhile, has already begun retaliating against US tech firms. One day after Trump announced a 10% tariff on Chinese imports, China’s State Administration for Market Regulation prepared to investigate Apple‘s (Nasdaq: AAPL) app store practices, including its 30% commission on in-app purchases and restrictions on third-party payment services.

Chinese regulators also launched an antitrust probe into Alphabet-owned Google (Nasdaq: GOOG), despite the company’s limited presence in the country. The investigation reportedly focuses on Google’s restrictions on Chinese smartphone manufacturers.


Information for this story was found via the sources and companies mentioned. The author has no securities or affiliations related to the organizations discussed. Not a recommendation to buy or sell. Always do additional research and consult a professional before purchasing a security. The author holds no licenses.

Video Articles

This Gold Junior Is Sitting Next to a 3 Million Ounce Neighbor | Regan Isenor – Sylla Gold

A New Gold Giant Is About to Be Born! | Equinox Gold x Orla Mining

This Gold Restart Story Could Be Moving Faster Than Expected | Shaun Heinrichs – 1911

Recommended

Questcorp Wraps Expanded Drone Survey at La Union as Summer Drilling Approaches

Altamira Gold Extends Maria Bonita Footprint with 110 Metre Step-Out

Related News

Canada Halts Funding for Research Connected to Chinese Military and State Security Institutions

Just a few days after Prime Minister Justin Trudeau authorized the United States to shoot...

Wednesday, February 15, 2023, 02:18:00 PM

China’s Youth Unemployment Rate May Actually Be As High As Nearly 50%

An article by a Chinese professor claiming that China’s youth unemployment rate for March could...

Friday, July 28, 2023, 07:33:00 AM

BMO Tightens Lending Criteria for Tariff-Impacted Borrowers

The Bank of Montreal (TSX: BMO) has announced significant restrictions to its lending policies for...

Monday, March 24, 2025, 02:14:00 PM

CMOC’s Cobalt Surge Floods Global Market, Driving Eight-Year Price Low

CMOC Group Ltd., the world’s leading cobalt producer, has blown past its full-year production target...

Wednesday, October 30, 2024, 03:40:00 PM

Evergrande Shares Halted on Hong Kong Exchange Ahead of ‘Major Transaction’ Announcement

Trading of Evergrande shares was suspended on Monday, as investors prepare for news of a...

Monday, October 4, 2021, 04:36:00 PM