Ford Tells Poilievre He’s ‘Staying Out’ of Federal Election

Ontario Premier Doug Ford has told Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre he’s “staying out” of Sunday’s expected federal election call, rebuffing the Conservative leader’s request for campaign advice.

The Toronto Star, citing sources familiar with the phone call said Poilievre waited 18 days after Ford’s February 27 re-election to make the belated congratulatory call. Their Monday phone conversation, described as “stilted and awkward” due to the two Conservative politicians’ minimal personal rapport, lasted nearly half an hour.

“I’m staying out of it,” Ford told Poilievre, according to sources, repeating what he’s said publicly.

The timing is particularly notable as new Liberal Leader Mark Carney’s popularity surges in polls and Poilievre — who was leading by a solid 20 points just a few months ago — has fallen behind. 

This phone call also came days after Ford met with Carney at Wally’s Grill in Etobicoke to discuss strategies for handling Trump’s 25% tariffs on Canadian goods.

And then the morning after speaking with Poilievre, Ford was spotted having coffee at his home with Liberal Transport Minister Chrystia Freeland, who later attended Wednesday’s provincial cabinet ceremony as a special guest.

When reporters asked Ford about his relationships with the federal leaders, he was blunt: “I don’t know either one of them, to be very frank,” adding he would “work with anyone” elected.

The cool relationship isn’t new. In 2019, when Ford’s approval ratings plummeted, then-Conservative leader Andrew Scheer avoided appearing with the premier during Ontario campaign stops.

On Thursday, Poilievre told reporters in Quebec he wasn’t “seeking provincial premiers’ endorsements” — three days after Ford had already indicated he wouldn’t be offering one.


Information for this story was found via the sources and companies mentioned. The author has no securities or affiliations related to the organizations discussed. Not a recommendation to buy or sell. Always do additional research and consult a professional before purchasing a security. The author holds no licenses.

Video Articles

Eldorado Gold: The $3.8 Billion Foran Mining Acquisition

Silver Tiger’s $2.35B Silver Blueprint: Two Mines, One Perfect Metals Market

Gold Is At Records. Barrick Mining Is Printing Cash. The Stock Still Fell. | Q4 Earnings

Recommended

Canadian Copper Plans 2,500 Metre Drill Program For 2026

Mercado Receives Permits For Planned 3,000 Metre Drill Program At Copalito

Related News

Ontario Weighs Pulling Crown Royal from Liquor Stores After Plant Closure

Ontario officials say they’re considering removing Crown Royal whisky from provincial liquor stores after the...

Thursday, September 4, 2025, 08:10:59 AM

Ontario Government Paid $70,000 for Advice It Can’t Find Any Record Of

In response to a Freedom of Information Act (FOI) request filed by NDP Member of...

Monday, October 9, 2023, 10:24:00 AM

People ‘Need a Break’: Doug Ford Calls for Interest Rate Cuts

A day before the Bank of Canada is set to announce interest rates, Ontario Premier...

Wednesday, March 6, 2024, 07:03:00 AM

Canada’s Liberals Surge to 6-Point Lead Under Carney, Ipsos Poll Finds

Canada’s Liberal Party has expanded its lead over the opposition Conservatives, according to an Ipsos...

Friday, March 21, 2025, 07:55:18 AM

Poilievre’s Trades Worker Plan Draws Union Support As Campaign Hits Prairies

Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre’s plan to expand tax benefits for trades workers has garnered support...

Monday, March 31, 2025, 11:04:00 AM