Israel is preparing for a scenario in which war with Iran breaks out “within days,” according to two Israeli officials cited by Axios, even as some US sources argue the US may need more time.
The Trump administration is reportedly closer to a major war with Iran than the public debate suggests, describing a likely operation as a massive, weeks-long campaign that would resemble full-fledged war rather than a limited strike like last month’s pinpoint operation in Venezuela.
Sources cited by Axios describe the likely operation as a joint US-Israeli campaign broader in scope than the Israeli-led 12-day war last June, with Israel pushing a maximalist target set that includes regime change alongside strikes on Iran’s nuclear and missile programs.
BREAKING: The Israeli government is preparing for a scenario of war to break out with Iran within days, according to two Israeli officials. – Axios
— Faytuks News (@Faytuks) February 18, 2026
The likely US-Israeli campaign against Iran will likely be major and weeks-long, sources sayhttps://t.co/1TxXFMfWfc pic.twitter.com/QH4NbHubho
Diplomacy is still running, but on borrowed time. Trump advisers Jared Kushner and Steve Witkoff reportedly met Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi for three hours in Geneva on Tuesday, and both sides said the talks “made progress.”
Vice President JD Vance told Fox News the talks “went well” in some ways, but said “in other ways it was very clear that the president has set some red lines that the Iranians are not yet willing to actually acknowledge and work through.
He added that President Donald Trump could decide diplomacy has “reached its natural end.”
“The boss is getting fed up. Some people around him warn him against going to war with Iran, but I think there is 90% chance we see kinetic action in the next few weeks,” a Trump adviser was quoted by Axios.
The military buildup described by Axios is already at war-scale: an armada that includes two aircraft carriers, a dozen warships, hundreds of fighter jets, and multiple air defense systems, with some of that firepower still en route.
More than 150 US military cargo flights have moved weapons systems and ammunition to the Middle East, and that in the past 24 hours another 50 fighter jets, including F-35s, F-22s, and F-16s, headed to the region.
While Israel is allegedly preparing for war within days, Sen. Lindsey Graham said strikes could still be weeks away. Some US sources say the US might need more time.
Information for this briefing was found via Axios and the sources and companies mentioned. The author has no securities or affiliations related to this organization. Not a recommendation to buy or sell. Always do additional research and consult a professional before purchasing a security. The author holds no licenses.