Ontario Premier Vows to Pull Diageo Brands from Stores Over Plant Closure

Ontario Premier Doug Ford says the province will remove all Diageo-owned alcohol brands from government liquor stores when the spirits giant closes its Crown Royal bottling plant next year, affecting roughly 200 workers.

“When the last person walks out through that door, we’re going to make sure LCBO takes off their brands,” Ford said Saturday at a union rally in Brampton, making his most definitive statement yet on the government’s response to the facility closure.

The ban would affect dozens of popular brands, including Guinness, Johnnie Walker, Baileys, Smirnoff, Captain Morgan, and Tanqueray, among others owned by the London-based multinational.

Diageo announced in August it would close the Amherstburg bottling facility in February 2026 as part of efforts to consolidate its North American operations. The company said the whisky’s production process would remain in Canada, with Canadian bottling operations continuing at its Valleyfield, Quebec plant. The union believes much of the work will move to Diageo facilities in the United States.

Ford has sharply criticized the decision, arguing that Ontario’s Liquor Control Board is Diageo’s largest North American customer with approximately $740 million in annual sales. At a September news conference, he poured out a bottle of Crown Royal, calling company executives “dumb as a bag of hammers.”

The premier said he offered incentives to keep the plant open, but the company declined.

Diageo maintains it remains committed to Canada and employs 500 people across the country in its headquarters, warehouse, and production facilities.

The threatened ban follows Ontario’s February decision to pull American-made alcohol from LCBO shelves during a trade dispute with the United States. The province controls most alcohol sales through the government-run LCBO.

Union representatives have supported Ford’s stance, calling for other provinces to use similar leverage to protect Canadian jobs.



Information for this story was found via the sources and companies mentioned. The author has no securities or affiliations related to the organizations discussed. Not a recommendation to buy or sell. Always do additional research and consult a professional before purchasing a security. The author holds no licenses.

Video Articles

First Majestic Q1 Earnings: A Bang Up Quarter

Copper’s Structural Shortage May Be Here to Stay | Colin Joudrie – Selkirk Copper

Why Barrick’s “Strong” Quarter Wasn’t So Strong | Q1 2026 Earnings

Recommended

Altamira Gold Extends Maria Bonita Porphyry System Westward With 70.6 Metres At 0.51 g/t Hit

Antimony Resources Reports 13.9% Antimony in Latest Drill Core at Bald Hill

Related News

Ontario School Boards Sue Social Media Platforms For “Rewiring” Kids, Ask For $4 Billion In Claims

Four major school boards in Ontario have initiated legal action against tech giants Meta Platforms...

Thursday, March 28, 2024, 10:40:00 AM

Ontario Premier Doug Ford Orders Tougher Penalties for Lobbyists Amid Scandal

Ontario Premier Doug Ford has taken action in response to a troubling integrity commissioner report,...

Thursday, September 7, 2023, 04:36:00 PM

Toyota Starts $1.1 Billion RAV4 Production in Ontario

Toyota started production of its redesigned RAV4 hybrid at Ontario plants last week, committing $1.1...

Tuesday, January 27, 2026, 09:24:23 AM

Doug Ford Vows to Axe American Booze from LCBO Shelves in Retaliation to Tariffs

Ontario Premier Doug Ford has issued a stern warning to the Liquor Control Board of...

Tuesday, January 21, 2025, 10:49:00 AM

Ontario Passes Budget Bill Stripping FOI Access to Premier’s Office, Retroactively Killing Court Cases

The Ford government passed its omnibus budget bill Thursday, burying sweeping changes to Ontario’s freedom...

Thursday, April 23, 2026, 11:37:34 PM