Rafah Hit by Israeli Airstrike: Displaced Palestinians Among the Dead

A devastating airstrike by Israeli forces has struck a refugee camp in Rafah, Gaza Strip, late Sunday night, resulting in a massive fire and substantial casualties among displaced Palestinian civilians. The attack has sparked widespread condemnation and concerns over the escalating humanitarian crisis in the region.

The airstrike targeted tents sheltering internally displaced persons (IDPs) near the United Nations Relief and Works Agency (UNRWA) logistics base in Tal Al-Sultan, western Rafah. This area had been designated as a “safe zone” by Israeli authorities, who had urged civilians to relocate there for their safety.

Eyewitnesses and local sources report horrific scenes, with many individuals, including women and children, caught in the inferno. Footage from the aftermath shows numerous bodies burnt beyond recognition. Palestinian health officials have confirmed that at least 35 people have been killed and dozens more injured.

The names of some of the Palestinians killed in the massacre have been released, highlighting the indiscriminate nature of the violence, which claimed the lives of individuals ranging from 2-year-old children to elderly citizens​.

The Israeli military stated that the strike was aimed at a Hamas compound in Rafah, using precision munitions based on precise intelligence. They reported that the operation resulted in the elimination of Yassin Rabia, head of Hamas’s terror operations in the West Bank, and Khaled Nagar, a senior officer in Hamas’s West Bank headquarters.

“The IDF is aware of reports indicating that as a result of the strike and fire that was ignited several civilians in the area were harmed. The incident is under review,” the Israeli military said.

The attack has drawn significant international outcry, with humanitarian organizations and foreign governments calling for an immediate cessation of hostilities and greater protection for civilians. The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) reported an overwhelming influx of casualties to its field hospital in Rafah and other local medical facilities.

“The air strikes burnt the tents, the tents are melting and the people’s bodies are also melting,” a resident, who arrived at the Kuwaiti hospital in Rafah, said in distress.

The airstrike occurred 48 hours after the International Court of Justice (ICJ) issued a decision ordering Israel to halt its military offensive in Rafah. Despite this, Israel has continued its operations, citing the necessity of targeting Hamas militants and rescuing hostages.

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu convened his war cabinet to discuss the ongoing operations in Rafah, reinforcing Israel’s stance on eliminating Hamas’s presence. “The IDF must operate in every place Hamas still operates from,” said Israeli war cabinet minister Benny Gantz.

Humanitarian aid efforts have been severely impacted by the ongoing conflict. While Egypt agreed to temporarily divert aid through Israel’s Kerem Shalom crossing, ongoing fighting has hindered access to the supplies. The Rafah crossing has remained closed, with Egypt expressing concerns over potential mass displacement into its territory.


Information for this briefing was found via CNBC, Voice of America, and the sources mentioned. The author has no securities or affiliations related to this organization. Not a recommendation to buy or sell. Always do additional research and consult a professional before purchasing a security. The author holds no licenses.

Leave a Reply

Share
Tweet
Share