Trump Doubles China’s Tariffs To 20%: “Drugs Are Still Pouring Into Our Country”

The US is moving to increase its tariff rate on Chinese goods, with President Donald Trump announcing an additional 10% charge on imports from China beginning March 4. This levy will come on top of the 10% tariff already in effect from earlier in the month, making the overall penalty on Chinese goods 20%.

Trump cites China’s role in the fentanyl trade as a primary factor. “Drugs are still pouring into our Country,” the president said on social media.

China’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs has expressed “dissatisfaction and resolute opposition” to the planned measures. Lin Jian, a spokesperson, called the fentanyl issue an “excuse” for ramping up tariffs, noting that China has “one of the strictest” drug control policies in the world.

“Pressure, coercion, and threats are not the correct way to deal with China,” he added.

Washington’s tough stance is also set to affect two other major US trading partners, Mexico and Canada, which together with China account for more than 40% of total imports into the US. Trump reiterated his plan to impose a 25% tariff on Mexico and Canada if the two governments fail to show progress in controlling the northward flow of drugs.

Although both countries have tried to stave off these taxes—Mexico has extradited cartel leaders and Canada continues to negotiate heightened border security—Trump insists stronger enforcement is needed.

The economic impact of these measures is potentially far-reaching. Tariff-laden imports from China could drive up costs on a range of products, including consumer electronics from companies such as Apple.

Before these latest moves on China, much of the attention was on Trump’s escalating standoff with Canada and Mexico. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau vowed an “extremely strong response” if the US moves forward with the new 25% measure, while Mexican President Claudia Sheinbaum said she hopes to “reach an agreement” that can prevent economic damage on both sides of the border.


Information for this briefing was found via BBC and the sources mentioned. The author has no securities or affiliations related to this organization. Not a recommendation to buy or sell. Always do additional research and consult a professional before purchasing a security. The author holds no licenses.

Video Articles

First Majestic Q1 Earnings: A Bang Up Quarter

Copper’s Structural Shortage May Be Here to Stay | Colin Joudrie – Selkirk Copper

Why Barrick’s “Strong” Quarter Wasn’t So Strong | Q1 2026 Earnings

Recommended

Power Metallic Pushes Deeper Into Saudi Arabia With Amaar Mining Tie-Up

Canada Confirms First Hantavirus Case Linked to MV Hondius Cruise Ship Outbreak

Related News

Trump Pats Himself With EU Tariffs Delay

President Donald Trump announced that he has agreed to postpone the threatened 50% tariff on...

Monday, May 26, 2025, 03:40:00 PM

Trump Targets Fanboy Vivek Ramaswamy, Says He’s ‘Deceitful,’ ‘Don’t Get Duped’

Former President Donald Trump publicly criticized Republican presidential hopeful Vivek Ramaswamy, a prominent Trump supporter,...

Monday, January 15, 2024, 10:40:00 AM

Ford Pulls 2025 Outlook as Auto Tariffs Expected to Slash Profits

Ford Motor Company (NYSE: F) has suspended its full-year financial guidance for 2025, projecting that...

Tuesday, May 6, 2025, 12:57:00 PM

Oil Prices Shrug Off Trump’s Second Iran Deadline Extension

President Donald Trump extended his pause on US strikes against Iranian power plants for a...

Friday, March 27, 2026, 07:35:40 AM

Brazil’s Lula: ‘We Can Survive Without the US’ After Trump Tariff Threat

Brazilian President Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva responded forcefully Thursday to US President Donald Trump’s...

Friday, July 11, 2025, 10:08:00 AM