Trump Promised to Ramp Up Venezuela Oil — Instead, Production Is Being Cut

Days after President Donald Trump promised US oil companies would pour billions into Venezuela to increase production, the reality tells a different story: Venezuela’s state oil company is cutting output because it has nowhere to put the crude it’s already producing.

PDVSA has begun shutting down oilfields and asking joint ventures, including projects with Chevron and China National Petroleum Corporation, to cut back production as storage tanks fill to capacity, sources told Reuters.

The reason: Trump’s own oil embargo has brought Venezuela’s exports to a complete halt.

After filling more than 45% of its 48-million-barrel onshore storage capacity, PDVSA began using tankers as floating storage. More than 17 million barrels now sit in ships offshore with nowhere to go, according to TankerTrackers.com.

No tankers were docked Sunday at Venezuela’s main export terminal. PDVSA is resorting to “extreme solutions,” including dumping residual fuel into oil waste pools to avoid shutting down refineries entirely.

“They have nowhere else to store,” one source told Reuters on December 31. “Without tanker departures, the situation is getting ugly.”

Even Chevron, the only US major still operating in Venezuela with Washington’s blessing, saw its shipments stop. Chevron-chartered tankers haven’t left Venezuelan waters since Thursday, shipping data showed.

Venezuela’s oil exports in December fell to about half the 950,000 barrels per day shipped in November. Now exports have essentially stopped. Workers at Sinovensa were preparing on Sunday to disconnect up to 10 well clusters after “over-accumulation of extra heavy crude.”

Venezuela produced about 1 million barrels per day in November. That production is now being deliberately cut.

Trump’s aggressive Venezuela strategy — the December tanker blockade, seizure of oil cargoes, and Saturday’s military operation — achieved some level of regime change but strangled the very oil production he promised to unlock.

Delcy Rodríguez, now interim president, said last month Venezuela would “continue producing and exporting oil despite the US measures.”

Instead, Venezuela is cutting production and accumulating up to 25 million barrels in storage with nowhere to send them.



Information for this story was found via the sources and companies mentioned. The author has no securities or affiliations related to the organizations discussed. Not a recommendation to buy or sell. Always do additional research and consult a professional before purchasing a security. The author holds no licenses.

One Response

Video Articles

Eldorado Gold: The $3.8 Billion Foran Mining Acquisition

Silver Tiger’s $2.35B Silver Blueprint: Two Mines, One Perfect Metals Market

Gold Is At Records. Barrick Mining Is Printing Cash. The Stock Still Fell. | Q4 Earnings

Recommended

Canadian Copper Plans 2,500 Metre Drill Program For 2026

Mercado Receives Permits For Planned 3,000 Metre Drill Program At Copalito

Related News

Trump Brokers Congo Peace Deal With Eye on Critical Minerals

President Donald Trump brokered a peace agreement between the Democratic Republic of Congo and Rwanda...

Tuesday, July 1, 2025, 09:17:44 AM

Trump Cancels Iran Meetings, Urges Protests Continue

Iran’s crisis escalated sharply as Iran International English reported an editorial-board conclusion that at least...

Wednesday, January 14, 2026, 10:15:31 AM

Trump Confirms Talks Of Microsoft Buying TikTok

The fate of TikTok in the US stands another chance as Microsoft (NASDAQ: MSFT) is...

Thursday, January 30, 2025, 11:40:00 AM

‘Time to Make a Deal’: Trump Threatens New Trade Restrictions on Russia Over Ukraine War

President Donald Trump has warned Russia of severe economic consequences if the ongoing war in...

Thursday, January 23, 2025, 03:47:00 PM

Republicans Face Felony Charges in Michigan Over False Trump Electors

The Michigan Attorney General, Dana Nessel, has brought forth felony charges against 16 Republicans who...

Wednesday, July 19, 2023, 10:56:00 AM