Tuesday, May 19, 2026

Latest

Trump Wants Keystone XL Pipeline “Now” After Saying The US Doesn’t Need Canadian Oil

President Donald Trump has once again stirred controversy by calling for the resurrection of the Keystone XL pipeline. Despite the project being effectively abandoned in 2021, Trump insists it should be built “now,” framing it as an energy priority for the US under his new administration.

In a post on his social media platform, Trump encouraged the company once behind the pipeline to “come back to America” with the promise of “easy approvals, almost immediate start,” while adding, “If not them, perhaps another Pipeline Company. We want the Keystone XL Pipeline built!”

Trump’s call for reviving the pipeline comes amid a tenuous trade relations with Canada as the US is poised to imposed hefty tariffs on Canadian exports including oil, reasoning that the US “don’t need the products they have.”

The original developer, TC Energy, walked away from Keystone XL after former President Joe Biden revoked a critical permit allowing the pipeline to cross the US-Canada border. Portions of the project were dismantled, and key regulatory approvals lapsed. Since then, TC Energy spun off its oil pipeline business into South Bow Energy, which has expressed no interest in reviving Keystone XL.

“We continue to engage with customers to develop options to increase Canadian oil supplies to meet growing US demand,” said South Bow spokesperson Katie Stavinoha, stressing that the company has “moved on from the Keystone XL project.”

Environmental activists celebrated the pipeline’s cancellation as a major triumph in the fight against climate change, arguing that reviving Keystone XL would be a regressive step. “Keystone XL is a symbol of the fossil fuel era we need to leave behind,” one activist group argued in the aftermath of Biden’s 2021 decision.

Trump’s renewed push arrives at a time when the North American energy market has shifted considerably. US oil production has risen to record levels, reducing the perceived urgency for additional pipelines from Canada. Many states have also increased their focus on renewable energy sources, and environmental advocacy groups remain staunchly opposed to heavy infrastructure projects reliant on fossil fuels.

Reviving the Keystone XL would almost require building from scratch as key permits would need to be reapproved and land acquisition issues could reignite legal and public relations battles. Legal challenges halted the pipeline more than once in the past, and landowners have fought fiercely against eminent domain for corporate projects.

“Landowners remember the fight,” said Jane Kleeb, who led prior opposition efforts in Nebraska. “The backlash against taking private land for corporate profits would be as strong as ever.”


Information for this briefing was found via Reuters, Bloomberg, and the sources mentioned. The author has no securities or affiliations related to this organization. Not a recommendation to buy or sell. Always do additional research and consult a professional before purchasing a security. The author holds no licenses.

One Response

Video Articles

First Majestic Q1 Earnings: A Bang Up Quarter

Copper’s Structural Shortage May Be Here to Stay | Colin Joudrie – Selkirk Copper

Why Barrick’s “Strong” Quarter Wasn’t So Strong | Q1 2026 Earnings

Recommended

Canada Confirms First Hantavirus Case Linked to MV Hondius Cruise Ship Outbreak

Altamira Gold Extends Maria Bonita Porphyry System Westward With 70.6 Metres At 0.51 g/t Hit

Related News

As Trump Hikes China Tariffs To 145%, O’Leary Calls For…400%

“Shark Tank” investor Kevin O’Leary called for more — way more — punitive trade measures...

Friday, April 11, 2025, 10:33:00 AM

Trump Again Targets Critical Minerals Amid US Supply Chain Gaps

President Donald Trump has issued a new executive order initiating a Section 232 investigation into...

Thursday, April 17, 2025, 12:04:00 PM

Trump Can Now Wipe Bannon’s Conviction, Thanks To The Supreme Court

The Supreme Court cleared the way for the Trump administration to wipe out Steve Bannon’s...

Monday, April 6, 2026, 12:24:40 PM

Iran Tables Demands: No Talks Without Base Closures, Sanctions Relief, and Hormuz Fees

Iran has responded to a US ceasefire proposal with a sweeping set of counter-demands, insisting...

Wednesday, March 25, 2026, 10:09:00 AM

Trump Threatens 25% Tariffs on Apple, Samsung Smartphones

President Donald Trump threatened Friday to impose 25% tariffs on Apple iPhones and Samsung smartphones...

Monday, May 26, 2025, 02:12:00 PM