A Wells Fargo Executive Jumped to His Death from a Window of the Wilmington Office in January

Greg Beckett, a 46-year-old Wells Fargo employee, took his own life by jumping from the 14th floor of the bank’s Wilmington, Delaware building one Thursday evening in January. Despite engaging in text conversations with his girlfriend and high-school friends just moments before his tragic death, there were no apparent signs of distress in his final messages.

The loss of Beckett, described as a valued member of the Wells Fargo team, has left many grappling with unanswered questions. Outside of work, Beckett’s personal life appeared to be going well, as he had recently moved in with his girlfriend and her daughters. 

His family expressed surprise that no senior executives from the bank attended his memorial service, with only some of his colleagues present. Wells Fargo sent flowers as a token gesture.

The company, which had been encouraging employees to return to the office, informed Wilmington-based workers that they did not need to be in the office the week following Beckett’s death. However, communication about the suspension of badge-swiping monitoring was reportedly delayed, causing confusion among employees.

When contacted by a human-resources worker regarding Greg Beckett’s life insurance and final paycheck, the worker was unaware of the circumstances surrounding his death, leading to a shocked reaction during the conversation.

Scott Powell, the Chief Operating Officer of Wells Fargo, confirmed that top executives were informed of the incident and that the company had communicated with employees about it. Senior human-resources personnel were present on-site to offer support.

Beckett worked on Wells Fargo’s internal controls, which are meant to protect the bank from risk. 

He had been grappling with increased stress levels in the months leading up to his death. His workload had intensified, with long hours, late-night meetings, and high-stress projects becoming the norm. 

“I was told to ‘not leave if possible,’” he wrote in a text message to his girlfriend after telling her to eat dinner ahead on the night of January 19. 

Just a few hours later, he abruptly stopped responding to messages and calls, raising concerns among his loved ones. His brother and sister-in-law drove to his workplace at 10 p.m. to look for his car, according to the Wall Street Journal. They were worried he might have gotten into an accident, only to find the police blocking off the parking lot.

Information for this story was found via the Wall Street Journal, and the sources and companies mentioned. The author has no securities or affiliations related to the organizations discussed. Not a recommendation to buy or sell. Always do additional research and consult a professional before purchasing a security. The author holds no licenses.

Leave a Reply