Carney Eyes Scrapping Oil-And-Gas Emissions Cap This Fall

  • Draft rules fixed a 137 Mt sector limit by 2030 but Ottawa is now weighing a broader “climate competitiveness strategy.”

Ottawa is reportedly in active talks to drop the planned oil-and-gas emissions cap this autumn, replacing it with a broader “climate competitiveness strategy” after sources said the cap—set at 137 million tonnes by 2030, or 37% below 2022—could be scrapped if Alberta and producers deliver alternative reductions.

The cap has never been legislated but has drawn consistent industry opposition on grounds it would effectively constrain production.

The policy shift would mark a sharp departure from campaign-trail messaging when Prime Minister Mark Carney said he would keep the cap, and drafts released last year under the previous government envisioned a 2030 limit via regulation.

The Environment Department confirmed it is reviewing feedback on the cap and reiterated that mechanisms like caps can play a role but “we are not going to get there through regulation alone.”

Natural Resources Minister Tim Hodgson declined details but underscored a results-first stance: “What I can tell you is that our government is focused on results, not how we get there.”

Two sources said any move to drop the cap would hinge on “renewed, serious commitments” from Alberta and the oil sands—explicitly including progress on the Pathways carbon capture and storage hub. While the CCS project sits at the center of industry decarbonization plans, regulators and investors will look for concrete timelines and capital commitments if the cap is to be traded away for other measures.

Oil and gas remains Canada’s highest-emitting industry. Without materially faster decarbonization from the sector, Ottawa risks missing its national 40%–45% reduction pledge by 2030 versus 2005 levels. Under the cap proposal, sector emissions were to be forced down to 137 Mt by 2030.

Carney’s team aims to unveil the climate competitiveness strategy later this fall as the emissions cap file remains unlegislated and under consultation.


Information for this story was found via Reuters and the sources and companies mentioned. The author has no securities or affiliations related to the organizations discussed. Not a recommendation to buy or sell. Always do additional research and consult a professional before purchasing a security. The author holds no licenses.

Video Articles

First Majestic Q1 Earnings: A Bang Up Quarter

Copper’s Structural Shortage May Be Here to Stay | Colin Joudrie – Selkirk Copper

Why Barrick’s “Strong” Quarter Wasn’t So Strong | Q1 2026 Earnings

Recommended

Questcorp Wraps Expanded Drone Survey at La Union as Summer Drilling Approaches

Altamira Gold Extends Maria Bonita Footprint with 110 Metre Step-Out

Related News

Carney Rules Out Supply Management in US Trade Talks

Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney said this week that supply management would not be part...

Thursday, April 3, 2025, 12:56:00 PM

Cameco Seals $2.6B Uranium Deal With India as Carney and Modi Launch Free Trade Talks

Canada and India signed a landmark uranium supply agreement Monday, with Saskatoon-based Cameco Corp. committing...

Tuesday, March 3, 2026, 07:37:00 AM

Ottawa Launches $13B Housing Push To Deliver 4,000 Homes

Prime Minister Mark Carney launched the Build Canada Homes agency with an initial $13 billion...

Monday, September 15, 2025, 12:07:00 PM

Brookfield Nears Colonial Pipeline Deal As Canada’s Carney Maintains Pipeline Restrictions

Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney has rejected calls to repeal controversial pipeline legislation even as...

Thursday, April 3, 2025, 03:01:00 PM

Carney’s Liberal Government One Seat Away From Majority After Tory MP Crosses Aisle

Mark Carney’s Liberal government moved within one seat of a majority after Markham–Unionville MP Michael...

Friday, December 12, 2025, 09:39:28 AM