China Confident in Economic Resilience Despite US Tariff Pressure

Chinese officials dismissed concerns about US tariffs this week, asserting they have ample tools to protect jobs and limit economic damage from the ongoing trade dispute with Washington.

Senior officials from multiple government ministries held a briefing to shore up confidence, promising support for companies and the unemployed while pledging easier lending conditions to counter the impact of US tariffs of up to 145% on Chinese exports.

“Chinese policymakers are on heightened standby mode,” said Louise Loo, lead economist at Oxford Economics, noting that current policies mirror earlier government announcements.

The briefing followed a meeting of China’s powerful Politburo last week, where leaders focused on maintaining economic growth despite slowing exports. Officials emphasized their confidence in reaching the country’s target growth rate of 5% this year.

“Enterprises reducing or even stopping energy imports from the United States will have no impact on our country’s energy supply,” said Zhao Chenxin, deputy director of the National Development and Reform Commission, seeking to highlight that China’s economy is independent from US trade.

Yu Jiadong, vice minister of Human Resources and Social Security, told reporters that a “full and objective analysis shows China’s employment policy toolbox is sufficient,” as authorities prepare to increase support for companies to help them retain workers.

China’s central bank also signaled readiness to cut interest rates and relax reserve requirements as needed to encourage lending, according to a deputy governor who spoke at the briefing.

Officials rejected claims of ongoing negotiations with Washington after US President Donald Trump said last week he was actively negotiating with Beijing, while Treasury Secretary Scott Bessert suggested “there is a path” to an agreement. Beijing has denied that such talks are underway and has retaliated against Trump’s tariffs with 125% import duties on American products.

Zhao called US tariffs “reciprocal tariffs” that “severely go against historical trends and economic laws, impact international trade rules and order, and seriously impair the legitimate rights and interests of countries.”

Reports emerged over the weekend that suggest possible behind-the-scenes developments in the trade dispute. According to Hong Kong’s Ming Pao newspaper, major US retailers, including Walmart, Home Depot, and Target have instructed Chinese suppliers to resume shipments that had been suspended due to tariffs, with the retailers agreeing to absorb the additional costs.


Information for this story was found via Bloomberg, AP News, The Guardian, and the sources and companies mentioned. The author has no securities or affiliations related to the organizations discussed. Not a recommendation to buy or sell. Always do additional research and consult a professional before purchasing a security. The author holds no licenses.

Video Articles

First Majestic Q1 Earnings: A Bang Up Quarter

Copper’s Structural Shortage May Be Here to Stay | Colin Joudrie – Selkirk Copper

Why Barrick’s “Strong” Quarter Wasn’t So Strong | Q1 2026 Earnings

Recommended

Power Metallic Pushes Deeper Into Saudi Arabia With Amaar Mining Tie-Up

Canada Confirms First Hantavirus Case Linked to MV Hondius Cruise Ship Outbreak

Related News

China Hits Back, Raises US Imports Tariffs To 84%

Chinese officials have announced a sharp increase in tariffs on goods from the US, moving...

Wednesday, April 9, 2025, 09:41:00 AM

Ford Pulls 2025 Outlook as Auto Tariffs Expected to Slash Profits

Ford Motor Company (NYSE: F) has suspended its full-year financial guidance for 2025, projecting that...

Tuesday, May 6, 2025, 12:57:00 PM

US Begins Processing $166 Billion in Tariff Refunds After Supreme Court Strikes Down IEEPA Policy

Businesses across the US gained access Monday to a federal refund portal for duties paid...

Tuesday, April 21, 2026, 12:16:33 AM

Pentagon Targets Domestic Gallium Recovery After China Export Curbs

The Pentagon plans to award contracts to North American companies by year-end to recover gallium,...

Friday, March 7, 2025, 10:39:00 AM

‘Time to Ban Insider Trading’: AOC Reacts to Market Spike, Trump Brags About His Insiders Making Millions

Representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez urged colleagues to immediately disclose recent stock purchases following dramatic market surges...

Friday, April 11, 2025, 02:17:00 PM