Dispute Over US-Canada Border Program Remains Unsolved

A dispute between the United States and Canada over NEXUS, the two countries’ long-standing trusted-traveler program, continues at the border, disrupting the plans of about 330,000 business travelers.

The program, which is jointly run by the Canada Border Services Agency and the US Customs and Border Protection (USCBP), was created to expedite border crossing for pre-approved, low-risk travelers via dedicated lanes at designated points of entry. 

The dispute revolves around whether USCBP agents should have the same legal protections at NEXUS facilities in Canada as agents working at preclearance operations at ports of entry like the Canada-US border and Canadian airports under the treaty that was completed by the Obama administration and Harper’s conservative government in 2015.

The treaty extended broad authority to US border agents to question, search, detain and arrest travelers without fear of legal repercussions. But, Canada argues that because the function of US border agents at NEXUS processing centers is largely administrative, there is no reason for extra protections.

Ambassadors from both countries have both spoken publicly about the disagreement, escalating it into a diplomatic squabble.

“We can’t just reinterpret a treaty,” Kirsten Hillman, Canada’s ambassador to the US said in an interview. “The US is asking for this now and it’s not a small matter to do.” 

Earlier in the month, she said at a Washington trade event organized by the Canadian Embassy that the program is “being held hostage” by the Biden administration. The Wall Street Journal reports that 80% of the 1.6 million active NEXUS members are Canadians.

Following her public remarks, David Cohen, the US ambassador in Canada, said at a Canadian Chamber of Commerce event that “the solution to this problem is wholly within Canada’s control.”

He pointed out that “if Nexus is as important to Canada as Canada says that it is, it might be worth a little effort in doing something hard to be able to solve this problem.”

Hillman said that Canada is committed to finding a solution to the dispute, but expressed frustration as the US is refusing to send back its agents, causing 13 NEXUS processing centers in Canada to still be closed. “The backlog is growing,” she said.


Information for this briefing was found via the Wall Street Journal, Forbes, and the companies and sources mentioned. The author has no securities or affiliations related to this organization. Not a recommendation to buy or sell. Always do additional research and consult a professional before purchasing a security. The author holds no licenses.

One Response

  1. Following her public remarks, David Cohen, the US ambassador in Canada, said at a Canadian Chamber of Commerce event that “the solution to this problem is wholly within Canada’s control.” What is the point of making treaties with the US, if they are going to not follow through? The treaty extended broad authority to US border agents to question, search, detain and arrest travelers without fear of legal repercussions. Not sure why the US border agents need to search, detain and arrest travelers in Canada during a NEXUS interview? Lastly, the bulk of Canada exports to the US is in energy, not people. All the US is trying to do, is expand their borders to outside the US. The perfect solution is, believe it or not video calls.

Video Articles

Artemis Gold Q3 Earnings: Growth Already In Focus

IAMGOLD Q3 Earnings: Market Responds With MASSIVE Price Lift

G Mining Q3 Earnings: Costs Down, Production Up

Recommended

Kalshi Faces Class Action Lawsuit Over Alleged Illegal Sports Betting

Silver47 Hits 606 g/t Over 9.7 Metres Silver Equivalent In Final Assays From 2025 Drill Program At Red Mountain

Related News

Canada to End Hotel Funding for Asylum Seekers in September Amid $1.1B Crisis

Canada will stop funding hotel accommodations for asylum seekers on Sept. 30, ending a program...

Monday, July 28, 2025, 10:54:52 AM

Canada Ends Decade-Long Federal Hiring Spree With 10,000 Job Cuts

Canada’s federal government eliminated nearly 10,000 jobs over the past year, marking the first reduction...

Monday, May 26, 2025, 10:31:00 AM

Ford May Seek Ontario Vote Over Costs of US Tariff Response

Ontario Premier Doug Ford suggested holding an early election if his government must spend billions...

Wednesday, January 15, 2025, 11:53:00 AM

Canadian Consumer Spending and Economic Output Plummet Amid Coronavirus Pandemic

According to the latest data released by Statistics Canada, the Canadian economy has contracted by...

Monday, June 1, 2020, 02:49:26 PM

Why British and German Tourists Are Being Warned About US Travel

Britain has issued revised travel advice for citizens heading to the US, adding a pointed...

Saturday, March 22, 2025, 09:37:00 AM