Ford to Pay $1.7 Billion in Damages For Fatal 2014 Rollover Accident

Ford Motor Co (NYSE: F) will have to pay $1.7 billion in punitive damages after a Georgia jury ruled the automaker knowingly manufactured its pickup trucks with faulty roofs that ultimately killed an elderly couple in a rollover.

The verdict, one of the heftiest in the US this year, was delivered last week after a 14-day trial endorsed the plaintiff’s claim that the 2002 Ford F-250 pickup truck Melvin and Voncile Hill were driving had an unsafe roof that crushed the occupants when their tire ruptured and the vehicle rolled over. The couple’s family argued Ford was aware of the design flaw on its F-250 pickups, but didn’t warn consumers nor improve the defective design until the 2016 model year.

“There are many millions of F-150’s on the road with this roof,” said the family’s attorney, Jim Butler Jr., as cited by CNN. “Long before the Hills were killed, Ford was on notice from their own engineers, own crash tests and dozens of accidents that people were being killed, and it did nothing.” The Hill family was also awarded $24 million in compensatory damages, but 75% of the $1.7 billion in punitive damages will be awarded to the state of Georgia, with the remainder divided between the plaintiffs and their lawyers.

Ford, for its part, said it does not agree with the jurors’ decision, and will appeal their decision. “While our sympathies go out to the Hill family, we do not believe the verdict is supported by the evidence, and we plan to appeal,” the automaker said in a statement as cited by Fox News.


Information for this briefing was found via CNN and Fox News. The author has no securities or affiliations related to this organization. Not a recommendation to buy or sell. Always do additional research and consult a professional before purchasing a security. The author holds no licenses.

Video Articles

Eldorado Gold: The $3.8 Billion Foran Mining Acquisition

Silver Tiger’s $2.35B Silver Blueprint: Two Mines, One Perfect Metals Market

Gold Is At Records. Barrick Mining Is Printing Cash. The Stock Still Fell. | Q4 Earnings

Recommended

Canadian Copper Plans 2,500 Metre Drill Program For 2026

Mercado Receives Permits For Planned 3,000 Metre Drill Program At Copalito

Related News

Ford Expects Production Interruption Due To Parts Supply Shortage

Ford Motor Company (NYSE: F) is anticipating a high number of its vehicles being built...

Tuesday, September 20, 2022, 10:53:00 AM

Ford to Double Annual Electric F-150 Production as Consumer Demand Skyrockets

Ford (NYSE: F) has decided to boost production of its electric F-150 pickup truck by...

Wednesday, January 5, 2022, 10:22:00 AM

Ford Suffers Significant Sales Slump, GM Announces Further Production Cuts Amid Worsening Chip Shortage

Ford’s auto sales slumped significantly last month, while rival GM is planning additional production cuts,...

Friday, September 3, 2021, 02:33:00 PM

Ford Says F-150 Lightning Production Will Resume, But Offers No Timeline

Ford Motor Co. (NYSE: F) says it will resume production of its all-electric F-150 Lightning...

Wednesday, November 12, 2025, 03:09:00 PM

Ford Pulls 2025 Outlook as Auto Tariffs Expected to Slash Profits

Ford Motor Company (NYSE: F) has suspended its full-year financial guidance for 2025, projecting that...

Tuesday, May 6, 2025, 12:57:00 PM