Tulsi Gabbard is leaving the top of the U.S. intelligence apparatus, driven out not by politics but by a diagnosis. Her husband Abraham has been found to have an extremely rare form of bone cancer, and Gabbard told President Trump on Friday, in person at the Oval Office, that she cannot keep the job. Her last day is June 30, Fox News Digital reported.
“Unfortunately, I must submit my resignation, effective June 30, 2026,” she said, adding that she was “deeply grateful for the trust you placed in me and for the opportunity to lead the Office of the Director of National Intelligence for the last year and a half.”
Tulsi Gabbard has resigned from her position as U.S. Director of National Intelligence, per Fox News reporting.
— The Dive Feed (@TheDeepDiveFeed) May 22, 2026
The personal note she struck in her resignation was direct. “My husband, Abraham, has recently been diagnosed with an extremely rare form of bone cancer,” she said. “I cannot in good conscience ask him to face this fight alone while I continue in this demanding and time-consuming position.”
The departure caps a tenure of aggressive structural change. Gabbard reduced the agency’s footprint enough to generate more than $700 million in annual savings for taxpayers, dismantled DEI programs across the Intelligence Community, and stood up a new task force aimed at restoring transparency inside the apparatus.
Her declassification record is the part that will be argued over longest. As of this month, her office had released more than half a million pages of previously classified government records — files covering the Trump-Russia investigation, including documents tied to the origins of the Crossfire Hurricane probe, and records related to the assassinations of President John F. Kennedy and Senator Robert F. Kennedy.
On counterterrorism, her National Counterterrorism Center blocked more than 10,000 individuals with ties to narco-terrorism from entering the country in 2025 and placed more than 85,000 such individuals on the terror watchlist over the course of her tenure. She also created the first-ever Weaponization Working Group, designed to expose what she characterized as the Biden administration’s weaponization of government.
Gabbard said she would work to ensure no disruption in leadership or momentum during the handover in the coming weeks. No successor has been named.
Information for this story was found via the sources and companies mentioned. The author has no securities or affiliations related to the organizations discussed. Not a recommendation to buy or sell. Always do additional research and consult a professional before purchasing a security. The author holds no licenses.