GM Boosts EV and Autonomous Vehicle Spending 30% by 2025 Amid Stronger Profits

General Motors said it will boost spending on electric and autonomous vehicles by 30% come 2025, as the company reports better than expected profits in the first half of the year.

On Wednesday, GM announced it will up spending towards its electric and autonomous fleet to $35 billion, marking an increase of 30% from its previous spending plans announced in late 2020. The additional funds will be allocated towards accelerating the automaker’s battery and fuel cell production, as well as expand its current rollout of electric vehicles. Previously, GM had said it will introduce 30 new EVs to the car market by 2025, and with respect to the latest spending boost, the car maker said it will now add to those plans.

“There are several growth engines in General Motors, and we’re going to just keep pushing ahead and accelerating them like we’re doing today of announcing a faster pivot to EVs,” explained GM CEO Mary Barra to CNBC. Indeed, GM has been in a hurry to catch up to EV market leader Tesla, in a broader effort to compete with other major automakers including Volkswagen.

GM said that the latest EV spending increase was the result of historically-high pretax earnings over the past three quarters, as well as strengthening demand for its new EVs. Despite the ongoing global chip shortage, GM forecasts better-than-expected pretax earnings between $8.5 billion and $9.5 billion in the first half of 2021, up from a previous estimate of $5.5 billion.


Information for this briefing was found via GM and CNBC. The author has no securities or affiliations related to this organization. Not a recommendation to buy or sell. Always do additional research and consult a professional before purchasing a security. The author holds no licenses.

Video Articles

Eldorado Gold: The $3.8 Billion Foran Mining Acquisition

Silver Tiger’s $2.35B Silver Blueprint: Two Mines, One Perfect Metals Market

Gold Is At Records. Barrick Mining Is Printing Cash. The Stock Still Fell. | Q4 Earnings

Recommended

Canadian Copper Plans 2,500 Metre Drill Program For 2026

Mercado Receives Permits For Planned 3,000 Metre Drill Program At Copalito

Related News

Honda Delays $15B Ontario EV Project, Cites Weak Demand

Honda Canada is postponing its $15 billion electric vehicle project in Ontario for approximately two...

Wednesday, May 14, 2025, 11:19:00 AM

GM Will Soon Phase Out Apple CarPlay in its EVs in Favor of a New Google-Supported System

General Motors (NYSE: GM) will soon remove widely-used Apple CarPlay and Android Auto smartphone connectivity...

Wednesday, April 5, 2023, 12:40:00 PM

PBO Report Says Canadians Still Can’t Afford EV As Liberal Plans to Ban Gas Vehicles by 2035

A fresh note from the Parliamentary Budget Officer flatlines Ottawa’s optimism on electric vehicle affordability,...

Thursday, June 12, 2025, 12:14:00 PM

Volkswagen Subsidies: Do The Numbers Make Sense?

How much in incentives does it take for Canada to draw major automakers to build...

Saturday, April 22, 2023, 01:24:00 PM

Ontario Expects Another Major EV Battery Plant Amid Auto Sector Race

Ontario expects to land another major electric vehicle battery plant commitment soon as Canada’s most...

Monday, June 3, 2024, 02:42:06 PM