IAEA Pushes Through With Zaporizhzhia Nuclear Plant Inspection Despite Military Activity: “We Are Not Stopping”

Following the reported threats of attacks and shelling by Russian forces around the Zaporizhzhia nuclear power plant, Europe’s largest nuclear facility, the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) is determined to push through with the inspection despite foreseen “increased military activity” in the area.

“There has been increased military activity, including this morning,” said IAEA chief Rafael Grossi. “But weighing the pros and cons and having come so far we are not stopping.”

Earlier in August 2022, Ukraine’s state nuclear power generator Energoatom reported rockets were fired at the city of Enerhodar by Russian forces, hitting the site of the Zaporizhzhia plant. Kyiv has been calling on the international community to increase nuclear sanctions on Moscow following the attack, as well as pressuring the invader to demilitarize the nuclear facility to dissipate alarms for a potential nuclear accident.

Ukraine is also calling out Russia to allow the IAEA convoy to visit the facility for inspection. However, Russia said it is Ukraine who’s actually blocking the visit, arguing that it is taking Europe hostage by shelling the facility.

Previously, United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres called for support for the IAEA “to create the conditions of stabilisation of that plant.”

“Any attack to a nuclear plant is a suicidal thing. I hope that those attacks will end, and at the same time I hope that the IAEA will be able to access the plant,” Guterres said.

Source: Bloomberg

Information for this briefing was found via Bloomberg. The author has no securities or affiliations related to this organization. Not a recommendation to buy or sell. Always do additional research and consult a professional before purchasing a security. The author holds no licenses.

Video Articles

Eldorado Gold: The $3.8 Billion Foran Mining Acquisition

Silver Tiger’s $2.35B Silver Blueprint: Two Mines, One Perfect Metals Market

Gold Is At Records. Barrick Mining Is Printing Cash. The Stock Still Fell. | Q4 Earnings

Recommended

Canadian Copper Plans 2,500 Metre Drill Program For 2026

Mercado Receives Permits For Planned 3,000 Metre Drill Program At Copalito

Related News

More Nuclear Plants Being Built: Philippines to Add 1,200 MW by 2032

The Philippines’ Department of Energy (DOE) is aiming to achieve a 1,200-megawatt installed power capacity...

Monday, February 26, 2024, 07:40:06 AM

Japan Poised to Restart World’s Largest Nuclear Plant

Japan’s Niigata Prefecture Assembly will vote by December 23 on whether to restart the world’s...

Monday, December 22, 2025, 02:16:00 PM

South Korea Accelerates Nuclear Reactor Export Drive

South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol and Slovak Prime Minister Robert Fico this week signed...

Wednesday, October 2, 2024, 11:26:00 AM

Return to Nuclear: Italy Considers SMRs as Key to Achieving 2030 Energy Goals

Italy’s Minister for the Environment and Energy Security, Gilberto Pichetto, has expressed support for the...

Monday, May 20, 2024, 11:41:00 AM

Energy Department Selects 11 Companies for Nuclear Reactor Pilot Program

Eleven advanced nuclear reactor projects have been chosen for President Donald Trump’s accelerated testing initiative,...

Wednesday, August 13, 2025, 02:57:00 PM