Nasdaq’s Updated Listing Rules Targeting Fraudulent Chinese Companies Should Serve as a Model for all Other Exchanges, Says Pompeo

The tensions between the US and China continue to escalate, with a significant concentration on investing into Chinese companies. Previously, Donald Trump had ordered the federal employee pension fund from investing in Chineses equities, followed by a Senate vote to prevent certain non-audit-compliant Chinese companies from listing on US exchanges. It also appears that the US government’s discontent with China has been noticed, and now NASDAQ has updated its listing rules in order to call for more thorough audit practices. ‘

Last month, NASDAQ re-structured its listing requirements as a means of addressing the discrepancy between US audit practices and Chinese audit practices. Previously, some Chinese companies were not required to disclose certain information if their local laws do not permit to do so. Now however, that is about to change, as NASDAQ is making it mandatory that all companies on the exchange abide by international reporting and inspection standards. According to a Reuter’s report on Thursday, NASDAQ received recognition from Secretary Mike Pompeo, who called on NASDAQ’s decision to be mimicked by other security exchanges – domestic and abroad.

Furthermore, last week US President Donald Trump declared that his administration would no longer offer special economic treatment to Hong Kong as a move to punish China for its enactment of the controversial national security law. Nonetheless, it has been previously discovered that some Chinese companies listed on US exchanges had discrepancies in their financial statements, thus putting American investors at risk.

Source: Ft.com

Information for this briefing was found via Reuters. The author has no securities or affiliations related to this organization. Not a recommendation to buy or sell. Always do additional research and consult a professional before purchasing a security. The author holds no licenses.

Video Articles

First Majestic Q1 Earnings: A Bang Up Quarter

Copper’s Structural Shortage May Be Here to Stay | Colin Joudrie – Selkirk Copper

Why Barrick’s “Strong” Quarter Wasn’t So Strong | Q1 2026 Earnings

Recommended

Questcorp Wraps Expanded Drone Survey at La Union as Summer Drilling Approaches

Altamira Gold Extends Maria Bonita Footprint with 110 Metre Step-Out

Related News

US Blocks Nvidia Exports to China Under Latest Retaliation

Nvidia (NASDAQ: NVDA) is caught in the middle of the US-China trade war after Washington...

Wednesday, April 16, 2025, 07:54:21 AM

Biden, Xi Signal Openness To Repair US-China Relations

The US president is resolute in believing his Chinese counterpart would not make an attempt...

Tuesday, November 15, 2022, 03:03:00 PM

Chinese Foreign Ministry Says They’re ‘Ready to Fight,’ Calls Fentanyl Crisis a ‘Flimsy Excuse’ for US Trade Actions

China says they are "ready to fight" any war till the end....
Thursday, March 6, 2025, 10:47:00 AM

China Hits Back: Halts $40B Boeing Order, Restricts US Tech Firms

China has launched a sweeping and strategic retaliation against the US in response to long-standing...

Wednesday, April 16, 2025, 10:40:00 AM

Nasdaq Launches Digital Assets Business To Provide Institutional Crypto Custody Service

On Tuesday, Nasdaq (NASDAQ: NDAQ), the United States’ second-largest stock market operator, announced the launch...

Friday, September 23, 2022, 02:15:00 PM