Ontario’s Ford Says ‘Man Was I Wrong’ About Trump

Ontario Premier Doug Ford admitted he “was wrong” about Donald Trump as he imposed a 25% tariff on electricity exports to the United States as part of the growing trade dispute between US and Canada.

“I supported Trump getting elected, low taxes, small government… man was I wrong,” Ford said when announcing the measure that will affect 1.5 million American customers starting Monday.

“It’s the last thing I want to do, but we’re not going to roll over,” Ford said.

The conservative premier, who once expressed admiration for Trump, has adopted an increasingly confrontational stance since the US president imposed 25% tariffs on most Canadian goods last week.

Conservative strategist Shakir Chambers said Ford has successfully grabbed the attention of White House officials.

“I have friends, and regardless of their political stripe, they’re applauding how aggressive Ford is in dealing with the White House,” said Chambers, vice-president of consulting firm Oyster Group.

US Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick has also called Ford and asked him to tone down his rhetoric, according to CBC News, but the premier refused.

Ford warned US lawmakers about economic consequences of Trump’s trade policies, directly appealing to congressional representatives from Republican-leaning states.

“So the Congress people in the red states, you need to speak up for your people,” Ford said. “Because your factories are going to be empty, they’re going to be shut down, there’s going to be unemployment, inflation is going to hit and it’s going to hurt the American people.”

McMaster University political science professor Peter Graefe said Ford appears to have had a rude awakening about Trump.

“I think Mr. Ford is maybe late in discovering some features of Mr. Trump’s personality or how he engages situations,” Graefe told CBC News. “The very material impacts of Mr. Trump’s decisions mean that Mr. Ford has been shaken out of thinking like a partisan.”

Liberal strategist Charles Bird suggested Ford’s tough talk might assist federal ministers negotiating directly with the Trump administration by allowing him to play “bad cop” since “he isn’t sitting at the table with them.”


Information for this story was found via the sources and companies mentioned. The author has no securities or affiliations related to the organizations discussed. Not a recommendation to buy or sell. Always do additional research and consult a professional before purchasing a security. The author holds no licenses.

Video Articles

Artemis Gold Q3 Earnings: Growth Already In Focus

IAMGOLD Q3 Earnings: Market Responds With MASSIVE Price Lift

G Mining Q3 Earnings: Costs Down, Production Up

Recommended

Kalshi Faces Class Action Lawsuit Over Alleged Illegal Sports Betting

Silver47 Hits 606 g/t Over 9.7 Metres Silver Equivalent In Final Assays From 2025 Drill Program At Red Mountain

Related News

New Lawsuit Alleges Trump and Giuliani Were Selling Pardons for $2 Million Each

Former Trump attorney Rudolph Giuliani and then-president Donald Trump were allegedly involved in a scheme...

Tuesday, May 16, 2023, 12:42:00 PM

Trump Campaign Caught Unaware that It’s Illegal for the Indicted Ex-President to Buy a Gun

The Trump campaign has retracted a claim made on Monday that former President Donald Trump...

Tuesday, September 26, 2023, 02:54:00 PM

Donald Trump’s Attorney-Client Privilege Could Be Bypassed, Judge Rules

A US district judge last week ruled that Donald Trump’s lawyer could be compelled to...

Wednesday, March 22, 2023, 06:52:23 PM

Bill to Release Epstein Files Now Headed to Trump’s Desk

The House passed the measure 427-1, while the Senate approved the bill hours later through...
Wednesday, November 19, 2025, 12:07:00 PM

Paramount Pays Trump $16 Million to Settle ’60 Minutes’ Lawsuit

Paramount Global (NASDAQ: PARA) announced Tuesday it will pay $16 million to resolve President Donald...

Thursday, July 3, 2025, 12:57:00 PM