Trump Insists Trade Talks Underway, Beijing Firmly Denies

US President Donald Trump on Thursday insisted trade talks with China are taking place, directly contradicting Beijing’s denial of any ongoing negotiations.

“They had a meeting this morning… It doesn’t matter who ‘they’ is. We may reveal it later, but they had meetings this morning, and we’ve been meeting with China,” Trump told reporters.

Hours earlier, China’s Ministry of Commerce spokesman He Yadong categorically said: “Any claims about the progress of China-US trade negotiations are groundless as trying to catch the wind and have no factual basis.”

“For all I know, China and the US are not having any consultation or negotiation on tariffs,” China’s Foreign Ministry Guo Jiakun separately said on Thursday. “Still less reaching a deal.”

At the same time, China appears to have quietly rolled back some retaliatory tariffs on US goods. Three import agencies in the southern technology hub of Shenzhen report China has exempted certain US-made semiconductors from its 125% tariff.

“We only found out after we filed the declaration — without doing that, we wouldn’t have known,” Chen Shaoding, a manager at Zhengnenligang Supply Chain, told CNN.

Sources familiar with the matter indicate that Beijing is also considering removing tariffs on medical equipment and industrial chemicals like ethane. These exemptions indicate China acknowledges its continued reliance on certain U.S. imports despite the ongoing trade dispute.

Both countries maintain steep tariffs on each other’s goods, with the US levying duties of up to 145% on Chinese imports and China imposing its 125% tariff on American products.

Read: Trump Backtracks on China Tariffs After Economic Pressure Mounts

Earlier this month, Trump exempted smartphones, computers and other electronics from his “reciprocal” tariffs, giving relief to tech manufacturers like Apple that produce in China.

Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent earlier suggested tensions could ease, telling reporters he sees an opportunity for a “big deal” between the US and China on trade. 

Meanwhile in China:


Information for this story was found via Bloomberg, and the sources and companies mentioned. The author has no securities or affiliations related to the organizations discussed. Not a recommendation to buy or sell. Always do additional research and consult a professional before purchasing a security. The author holds no licenses.

Video Articles

Eldorado Gold: The $3.8 Billion Foran Mining Acquisition

Silver Tiger’s $2.35B Silver Blueprint: Two Mines, One Perfect Metals Market

Gold Is At Records. Barrick Mining Is Printing Cash. The Stock Still Fell. | Q4 Earnings

Recommended

Canadian Copper Plans 2,500 Metre Drill Program For 2026

Mercado Receives Permits For Planned 3,000 Metre Drill Program At Copalito

Related News

House Passes Measure To Rescind Trump Tariffs On Canada

The GOP-led House passed a Democratic-led resolution to rescind President Donald Trump’s tariffs on Canada,...

Thursday, February 12, 2026, 10:09:00 AM

Trump Pats Himself With EU Tariffs Delay

President Donald Trump announced that he has agreed to postpone the threatened 50% tariff on...

Monday, May 26, 2025, 03:40:00 PM

Regulatory Changes Needed for Canadian Pipelines, Enbridge CEO Says

Enbridge Inc (TSX: ENB) Chief Executive Greg Ebel said on Tuesday that Canada should declare...

Thursday, March 6, 2025, 11:36:00 AM

Ontario Premier Vows to Ban Chinese State Firms from Energy Projects

Ontario Premier Doug Ford pledged on Monday to block Chinese state-owned enterprises from investing in...

Tuesday, February 11, 2025, 12:04:00 PM

Canadian Trucker TFI Plans To Leave Canada For The US

TFI International Inc. (TSE: TFII) announced plans to relocate its headquarters from Montreal to the...

Thursday, February 20, 2025, 02:53:00 PM