Bloc Québécois Leader Blanchet Makes Good on Threat to Challenge Liberals

Bloc Québécois Leader Yves-Francois Blanchet announced that his party is initiating discussions with other opposition parties about potentially bringing down Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s minority Liberal government, following through on an earlier ultimatum.

The Bloc has formally reached out to Conservative and New Democratic Party House leaders, indicating their intention to support future non-confidence motions and vote against the government, provided such actions align with Quebec’s interests. This development comes after the Liberal government failed to meet the Bloc’s deadline for advancing two key pieces of legislation.

The Bloc had demanded support for Bill C-319, which proposed a 10 percent increase in Old Age Security for seniors aged 65-74, and Bill C-282, which aimed to protect dairy, poultry, and egg producers in future trade negotiations. The Liberals rejected the seniors’ benefits increase and, while supporting the supply management bill, were unable to expedite its passage through the Senate.

“This is what we said we would do, and this is what we’re doing,” Blanchet said, expressing readiness for an election despite acknowledging that Quebecers might not want one.

For the government to fall, several political conditions would need to align. The current Conservative-led privilege standoff in the House of Commons would need to conclude, and the Liberals would have to lose NDP support. NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh has already indicated his party won’t use its fall sitting opposition day for a non-confidence motion.

Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre has urged Blanchet to help trigger an election, though Blanchet responded that Poilievre must first end his party’s filibuster to allow for non-confidence motions to proceed.

Deputy Prime Minister Chrystia Freeland confirmed the Liberals’ election readiness, while Government House Leader Karina Gould emphasized there’s “always a way to go forward.” The Trudeau government has already survived two Conservative-led non-confidence votes this fall, with both the Bloc and NDP previously opposing these attempts to force an early election.


Information for this story was found via the sources and companies mentioned. The author has no securities or affiliations related to the organizations discussed. Not a recommendation to buy or sell. Always do additional research and consult a professional before purchasing a security. The author holds no licenses.

Video Articles

First Majestic Q1 Earnings: A Bang Up Quarter

Copper’s Structural Shortage May Be Here to Stay | Colin Joudrie – Selkirk Copper

Why Barrick’s “Strong” Quarter Wasn’t So Strong | Q1 2026 Earnings

Recommended

Canada Confirms First Hantavirus Case Linked to MV Hondius Cruise Ship Outbreak

Altamira Gold Extends Maria Bonita Porphyry System Westward With 70.6 Metres At 0.51 g/t Hit

Related News

Where Did $200 Billion Go? Carney Says Climate Targets Now Impossible

Prime Minister Mark Carney acknowledged Canada will fail to meet its 2030 and 2035 emissions...

Monday, December 29, 2025, 11:20:00 AM

As the Cost of Living Continues to Rise, Household Debt Jumps to $2.34 Trillion in Canada

According to TransUnion’s Q2 2023 Credit Industry Insights Report, the average credit card balance now...

Monday, September 4, 2023, 09:35:54 AM

Liberal Government Unveils Further Stimulus Spending as Canada’s 2020 Deficit Nears $400 Billion

Canada’s Liberal government, which is currently pushing the largest 2020 deficit spike compared to all...

Tuesday, December 1, 2020, 10:10:23 AM

Russia Bans Jim Carrey And 99 Other Canadians In Response To New Sanctions, Military Aid

Russia’s Foreign Ministry on Monday announced that 100 Canadians have been added to the list...

Tuesday, November 15, 2022, 04:32:00 PM

Inflation Rises to 0.5% in September But Price Pressures Remain Subdued

It appears that inflation has finally hit Canada, but price pressures still remain restrained as...

Wednesday, October 21, 2020, 02:45:00 PM