Carney Attributes Trade Breakdown to Ford’s Anti-Tariff Ad Campaign

Prime Minister Mark Carney directly linked the collapse of Canada-US trade negotiations to Ontario Premier Doug Ford’s anti-tariff advertising campaign, stating the two countries had been making progress on steel and aluminum tariffs until the ads aired in October.

Carney told reporters in Malaysia that Canada and the United States held detailed discussions “up until the point of those ads running.” President Donald Trump ended the talks October 23 and threatened additional tariffs after Ontario ran a $75 million television campaign featuring former President Ronald Reagan criticizing protectionism.

The prime minister confirmed he saw the ad before it aired and told Ford he opposed running it. When asked what Ford’s response was to that warning, Carney replied: “Well, you saw what came of it.”

“It’s not something I would have done,” Carney said at a news conference in South Korea, adding that he apologized to Trump because “the president was offended by the ad.”

Carney emphasized federal responsibility for US relations. “I’m the one who is responsible in my role as prime minister for the relationship with the president of the US,” he said.

Ford defended the campaign and refused to apologize. The Conservative premier previously said Carney and his chief of staff watched the ad before its release but allowed it to run during World Series games despite Carney’s calls from Asia to pull it.

Related: Trump Administration Threatens Withdrawal from North American Trade Pact 

Trade Minister Dominic LeBlanc said negotiations with the Trump administration remain suspended. The two leaders met briefly December 5 at the FIFA World Cup draw in Washington but made no announcement on resuming formal talks.



Information for this story was found via the sources and companies mentioned. The author has no securities or affiliations related to the organizations discussed. Not a recommendation to buy or sell. Always do additional research and consult a professional before purchasing a security. The author holds no licenses.

Video Articles

Eldorado Gold: The $3.8 Billion Foran Mining Acquisition

Silver Tiger’s $2.35B Silver Blueprint: Two Mines, One Perfect Metals Market

Gold Is At Records. Barrick Mining Is Printing Cash. The Stock Still Fell. | Q4 Earnings

Recommended

Canadian Copper Plans 2,500 Metre Drill Program For 2026

Mercado Receives Permits For Planned 3,000 Metre Drill Program At Copalito

Related News

Ontario Targets Auto, Steel Sectors with $1B Emergency Loan Program

Ontario announced Wednesday that emergency funding will soon flow to businesses hammered by US trade...

Thursday, August 14, 2025, 12:59:00 PM

Liberal Party Leads in Canadian Polls, But Conservatives Gain Momentum on Economic Issues

Recent polling data shows the Liberal Party maintaining a lead in Canada’s 2025 federal election,...

Tuesday, April 15, 2025, 07:35:38 AM

Poilievre Vows to Scrap Industrial Carbon Pricing Amid Falling Poll Numbers

Conservative Party Leader Pierre Poilievre pledged to eliminate Canada’s industrial carbon pricing system if elected,...

Tuesday, March 18, 2025, 02:03:00 PM

Is The US About To Have ‘First Dibs’ On Canada’s Resources?

The Economist briefly posted a now pulled story alleging that Washington and Ottawa are close...

Friday, June 13, 2025, 11:27:00 AM

US Commerce Secretary Pressures Canada Over Alcohol Ban as Trade Tensions Escalate

US Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick took an aggressive stance against Ontario’s retaliatory alcohol ban and...

Friday, October 10, 2025, 07:34:00 AM