Trump Administration Threatens Withdrawal from North American Trade Pact

The Trump administration signaled it may withdraw from the United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement next year, threatening the trade deal President Donald Trump negotiated during his first term.

US Trade Representative Jamieson Greer told Politico that Trump could exit the USMCA in 2026.

“The president’s view is he only wants deals that are a good deal,” Greer said. “The reason why we built a review period into USMCA was in case we needed to revise it, review it or exit it.”

Related: USMCA review begins as USTR opens consultations 

Trump reinforced that stance Wednesday. “We’ll either let it expire, or we’ll maybe work out another deal with Mexico and Canada,” he told reporters.

The statements came during hearings where the US Trade Representative gathered testimony on the pact. The USMCA facilitates roughly $2 trillion in annual cross-border commerce and replaced NAFTA in 2020.

From last year: Trump’s Tariff Threats: A Prelude to USMCA Review Negotiations?

The agreement expires in 2036 unless all three nations agree to extend it by July 1, 2026.

US business leaders opposed abandoning the deal. “Our industry would not survive a long tariff battle with our two closest customers,” Dave Walton of the American Soybean Association testified Wednesday.

Kevin Brady, co-chair of the Coalition for North American Trade, warned withdrawal would trigger “an economic catastrophe for all three countries.”

Greer suggested splitting the agreement into separate bilateral deals. “Our relationship with the Canadian economy is totally different than our relationship with the Mexican economy,” he told Politico.

The administration maintains 50% tariffs on Canadian steel and aluminum plus 25% duties on other Canadian imports. Mexico has mostly escaped such measures.

Trade experts disagree on whether the threats constitute intent or negotiating pressure. “The mere suggestion of USMCA termination serves as an exceedingly potent, almost extortionary, bargaining chip,” trade lawyer Barry Appleton told The Globe and Mail.

Goldy Hyder of the Business Council of Canada called it standard tactics. “There is a process here where we’re supposed to sit down and talk about how to make [CUSMA] better,” he said.

Former Canadian diplomat Ben Rowswell took a darker view. “This likely is the end of CUSMA,” he told CBC News. “I think it’s a dead man walking.”

Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney met Trump Friday during the FIFA World Cup draw. Trade discussions have stalled since October.

The USTR must inform Congress by early January whether the administration will pursue an extension.



Information for this story was found via the sources and companies mentioned. The author has no securities or affiliations related to the organizations discussed. Not a recommendation to buy or sell. Always do additional research and consult a professional before purchasing a security. The author holds no licenses.

Video Articles

First Majestic Q1 Earnings: A Bang Up Quarter

Copper’s Structural Shortage May Be Here to Stay | Colin Joudrie – Selkirk Copper

Why Barrick’s “Strong” Quarter Wasn’t So Strong | Q1 2026 Earnings

Recommended

Questcorp Wraps Expanded Drone Survey at La Union as Summer Drilling Approaches

Altamira Gold Extends Maria Bonita Footprint with 110 Metre Step-Out

Related News

Deadly Hantavirus Outbreak on Cruise Ship Exposes Gap Left by US Withdrawal from WHO

A hantavirus outbreak aboard a Dutch cruise ship has killed three people and infected eight,...

Monday, May 11, 2026, 04:37:53 AM

Trump’s Touted GDP, Inflation Questioned After Shutdown Data Gaps

The Trump administration’s late-December economic victory lap is colliding with a core challenge raised by...

Thursday, January 1, 2026, 11:27:00 AM

Bessent Allegedly Threatened Pulte Over Fannie and Freddie: “I’m Gonna Punch You In Your F*cking Face”

Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent threatened to punch Federal Housing Finance Agency director Bill Pulte at...

Tuesday, September 9, 2025, 07:40:00 AM

Federal Worker Buyout Program Falls Short of White House Target

Approximately 20,000 federal employees have accepted voluntary buyout offers from the Trump administration, falling significantly...

Wednesday, February 5, 2025, 04:28:00 PM

US to Require 5 Years of Social Media History from Tourists

The Trump administration proposed Tuesday requiring travelers from 42 allied countries to submit five years...

Thursday, December 11, 2025, 04:07:00 PM