Carney Discussed Early Election with Ford, Sources Say

Prime Minister Mark Carney and Ontario Premier Doug Ford have discussed calling an early federal election, three sources told The Globe and Mail, though Carney’s office maintains the government does not plan a snap vote.

The Progressive Conservative premier told the Liberal prime minister that Canada needs economic stability and that an election offers an opportunity to secure a clear majority mandate, according to sources familiar with the discussions. The sources stressed that Ford’s comments do not constitute an endorsement of the federal Liberals.

The Liberals currently hold two seats short of a majority in the House of Commons. The last federal election took place on April 28, 2025, less than 10 months ago.

Recent polls show Carney holds a 29% lead over Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre on the question of preferred prime minister. The Liberals lead the Conservatives by four to nine percentage points in nationwide support across various surveys.

Related: New Poll Shows Carney Approval at 64%, Strong Support for China Trade Deal

Carney’s office said Sunday the government does not plan to call an early election. The prime minister made similar statements in late January.

The Conservatives have expressed concern that the Liberals might capitalize on Carney’s personal popularity and widespread Canadian opposition to US President Donald Trump by triggering an early vote.

Two Conservative members of Parliament crossed the floor to join the Liberal caucus last fall. Another Conservative MP announced plans to resign this spring. The government must also call two by-elections following the resignation of former Finance Minister Chrystia Freeland and the appointment of former Defence Minister Bill Blair as High Commissioner to the United Kingdom.

Ford won his third consecutive majority government after calling an early provincial election last year, citing the need for a mandate to confront Trump’s trade policies.

The next federal election must occur no later than 2029.



Information for this story was found via the sources and companies mentioned. The author has no securities or affiliations related to the organizations discussed. Not a recommendation to buy or sell. Always do additional research and consult a professional before purchasing a security. The author holds no licenses.

Video Articles

This Gold Junior Is Sitting Next to a 3 Million Ounce Neighbor | Regan Isenor – Sylla Gold

A New Gold Giant Is About to Be Born! | Equinox Gold x Orla Mining

This Gold Restart Story Could Be Moving Faster Than Expected | Shaun Heinrichs – 1911

Recommended

Questcorp Wraps Expanded Drone Survey at La Union as Summer Drilling Approaches

Altamira Gold Extends Maria Bonita Footprint with 110 Metre Step-Out

Related News

Carney Orders 7.5% Cut as First Step in Multi-Year Federal Spending Trim

Finance Minister François-Philippe Champagne on Monday told every federal minister to “identify ambitious savings proposals”...

Tuesday, July 8, 2025, 11:31:00 AM

Ford’s Reagan Ad Draws Ire, Additional 10% Tariff From Trump

Premier Doug Ford seems to have gotten the attention of President Donald Trump, albeit not...

Monday, October 27, 2025, 10:19:22 AM

Carney’s Major Projects Push Mirrors PMO Polling Results

The Carney government’s major projects push is being tuned by polling-tested messaging, with internal surveys...

Friday, September 5, 2025, 10:05:00 AM

Poilievre Attacks Carney Over Canada Jobs Data

Leader of the Opposition Pierre Poilievre is moving Canada’s latest jobs numbers into the centre...

Tuesday, May 12, 2026, 01:52:43 PM

John Tory’s Office Egged On His Final Day As Toronto Mayor

Disgraced Toronto Mayor John Tory has officially resigned, effective as of 5:00 PM on Friday....

Friday, February 17, 2023, 09:47:17 AM