Elon Musk’s Former Banker to Lead US Sovereign Wealth Fund

The US Commerce Department has reportedly selected Elon Musk’s former banker Michael Grimes to lead a planned sovereign wealth fund, part of President Donald Trump’s initiative to invest in projects deemed critical to national security, sources familiar with the matter said on Wednesday.

Grimes left Morgan Stanley after a 30-year career to join the Commerce Department and oversee the fund, according to people familiar with the matter who asked not to be identified. At Morgan Stanley, Grimes worked with Musk, now a close Trump adviser, on his purchase of Twitter, according to Bloomberg.

The Commerce Department has not commented on the matter as of this writing. Reuters, which first reported on the matter, could not reach Grimes for comment.

The sovereign wealth fund remains in early planning stages as part of a broader public-private effort to expand institutional investment options, the sources said.

Trump issued an executive order in February advancing the sovereign wealth fund concept, which he initially proposed during his campaign as a mechanism to redirect tariff revenue toward investments in manufacturing, defense technology and medical research.

The Treasury Department appointed JR Gibbens, a Wall Street and military veteran, last month to advise on plans for the fund.

The administration has considered pairing the sovereign wealth fund with the S. International Development Finance Corp and Export-Import Bank to catalyze American investment in areas considered national security priorities, according to one person familiar with the discussions. These priorities include critical minerals, rare earths, manufacturing, technology, and defense sourcing – sectors where China holds dominant market positions that could pose security risks.

The administration has studied models including the Abu Dhabi Investment Authority, Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund, and Norges Bank Investment Management as potential templates for the American fund. The fund’s planning would not involve collecting tariff revenue, one of the sources said.


Information for this story was found via Reuters, Bloomberg, and the sources and companies mentioned. The author has no securities or affiliations related to the organizations discussed. Not a recommendation to buy or sell. Always do additional research and consult a professional before purchasing a security. The author holds no licenses.

Video Articles

First Majestic Q1 Earnings: A Bang Up Quarter

Copper’s Structural Shortage May Be Here to Stay | Colin Joudrie – Selkirk Copper

Why Barrick’s “Strong” Quarter Wasn’t So Strong | Q1 2026 Earnings

Recommended

Canada Confirms First Hantavirus Case Linked to MV Hondius Cruise Ship Outbreak

Altamira Gold Extends Maria Bonita Porphyry System Westward With 70.6 Metres At 0.51 g/t Hit

Related News

Elon Musk Declines Offer To Join Twitter Board Of Directors

The saga between Twitter (NYSE: TWTR) and Elon Musk continues to twist and turn. After...

Sunday, April 10, 2022, 11:40:08 PM

Musk’s Twitter Deal Becomes Worst Merger Loan for Banks Since 2008 Crisis

The loans used by Elon Musk to finance his $44 billion acquisition of Twitter (which...

Wednesday, August 21, 2024, 03:39:00 PM

Elon Musk Finally Debuts ‘Optimus’ Humanoid Robot — But Will He Deliver?

A year and a month after Tesla (NASDAQ: TSLA) comically brought out a ‘mockup’ of...

Monday, October 3, 2022, 03:20:00 PM

Twitter Begins Ad Revenue Sharing with Creators, Showing Payouts As High As Over $100K

Popular creators on Twitter will soon receive their long-awaited payouts as part of the platform’s...

Friday, July 14, 2023, 10:29:00 AM

Time’s Up for Elon: Trump Confidants Reveal Musk’s Imminent Departure

President Donald Trump’s inner circle has confirmed that Elon Musk is set to step away...

Thursday, April 3, 2025, 03:41:00 PM