Mediators Race to Broker Iran Ceasefire Before Trump’s Tuesday Deadline, Axios Reports

Regional mediators are pressing the US and Iran to agree on a 45-day ceasefire as a deadline set by President Donald Trump expires Tuesday evening, four US, Israeli, and regional sources told Axios.

The proposed pause would serve as the first phase of a two-stage agreement, with permanent end-of-war terms negotiated during the ceasefire window. Mediators said the window could be extended if talks require more time.

Trump set the Tuesday 8 p.m. ET deadline in a Truth Social post Sunday, extending his original 10-day ultimatum by roughly 20 hours.

He told Axios a deal remains possible but warned: “If they don’t make a deal, I am blowing up everything over there.”

Negotiations are running through Pakistani, Egyptian, and Turkish intermediaries, as well as direct text exchanges between Trump envoy Steve Witkoff and Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi. 

Araghchi, though, has yet to verify or address this update. He previously posted that Iran’s position on the negotiations has been ‘misrepresented” by the US media. Reuters said it could not immediately verify the Axios report. 

The White House and the State Department did not respond to Reuters’ requests for comment, and the White House also declined to comment to Axios.

The reliance on Witkoff and Kushner — both real estate executives with no prior diplomatic experience — to lead the negotiations has drawn sharp criticism. Trump opted against including nuclear technical experts in the pre-war talks in Geneva, a decision arms control analysts and former diplomats said left the US negotiating team ill-equipped for the complexity of the talks. 

Iran has since declared it will no longer engage with either envoy, demanding that Vice President JD Vance lead any future diplomacy instead.

The talks center on two unresolved issues: the status of the Strait of Hormuz and Iran’s stockpile of highly enriched uranium. Mediators are seeking partial steps from Tehran on both fronts in a first-phase deal, but Iranian officials have told intermediaries they will not fully concede either point in exchange for only a 45-day pause, two sources said.

Araghchi also previously said that what they “care about are the terms of a conclusive and lasting END to the illegal war that is imposed” on Iran.

Iranian officials also raised concerns about a repeat of the Gaza and Lebanon ceasefires — pauses that did not prevent subsequent US and Israeli strikes. Publicly, the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps Navy declared Sunday that conditions in the strait would “never return” to what they were before the war.

Sources said a joint US-Israeli bombing plan targeting Iran’s energy infrastructure is fully prepared. Mediators have told Iranian officials the next 48 hours are the last opportunity to prevent a large-scale military escalation — one that could also trigger Iranian retaliatory strikes on Gulf states’ energy and water facilities.

According to the Axios report, the sources described the chances of reaching a partial deal within 48 hours as slim. No other source has verified that there are ongoing talks to begin with. Critics are labeling the report as another ploy to calm the markets as they open on Monday.

Tehran has said that it will “not accept deadlines or pressure to make a decision.”



Information for this story was found via the sources and companies mentioned. The author has no securities or affiliations related to the organizations discussed. Not a recommendation to buy or sell. Always do additional research and consult a professional before purchasing a security. The author holds no licenses.

Video Articles

First Majestic Q1 Earnings: A Bang Up Quarter

Copper’s Structural Shortage May Be Here to Stay | Colin Joudrie – Selkirk Copper

Why Barrick’s “Strong” Quarter Wasn’t So Strong | Q1 2026 Earnings

Recommended

Canada Confirms First Hantavirus Case Linked to MV Hondius Cruise Ship Outbreak

Altamira Gold Extends Maria Bonita Porphyry System Westward With 70.6 Metres At 0.51 g/t Hit

Related News

Short of Admitting Defeat, Trump Pins Iran War on Hegseth

He is, after all, Secretary of War....
Tuesday, March 24, 2026, 12:53:00 PM

Kuwait Cuts Oil Production Amid Iran Threats to Strait of Hormuz

Kuwait’s state oil company, Kuwait Petroleum Corporation, has slashed crude oil production and refining throughput...

Saturday, March 7, 2026, 09:53:51 AM

Gallup: Nearly Half of Americans Now Rate the Economy as Poor

Goldman Sachs and Gallup data show financial stress has no income floor — and the...
Monday, April 27, 2026, 08:01:24 AM

Iran Turns to Beijing as China Positions Itself Between Tehran and Trump

Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi met his Chinese counterpart Wang Yi in Beijing on Wednesday...

Thursday, May 7, 2026, 12:40:10 AM

Philippines Declares State of National Energy Emergency Amid Middle East Crisis

President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. declared a state of national energy emergency Tuesday, signing Executive Order...

Wednesday, March 25, 2026, 12:53:00 PM