Friday, February 20, 2026

‘Not Through Our Backyard’: Quebec’s Blanchet Rejects Pipeline Needed by Atlantic Canada

Bloc Québécois leader Yves-François Blanchet rejected a proposal to transport western Canadian oil through Quebec in a letter to Nova Scotia Premier Tim Houston, intensifying a provincial dispute over national energy infrastructure.

Blanchet told Houston he remains firmly against “turning Quebec into a highway for dirty oil and gas from the West,” citing risks to 830 waterways including the St. Lawrence River.

“Quebec would shoulder all the dangers but receive none of the benefits,” Blanchet wrote.

Houston fired back, calling Blanchet’s opposition “completely unacceptable,” and stressed national unity and energy independence as Canada faces US tariff threats.

Related: Moe Declares Pipeline Permits ‘Pre-Approved’ as Trump Renews Keystone Push

“This is a time for national unity and the moment to push forward on projects,” Houston told reporters. “It’s incredibly disappointing to see a national leader—the leader of the Bloc—saying he’s not interested unless it’s exclusively for Quebec. It’s very damaging for the country.”

The Nova Scotia premier previously sought federal condemnation of leaders who oppose energy projects during trade tensions with the United States, but his motion failed to pass.


Information for this story was found via CTV News, and the sources and companies mentioned. The author has no securities or affiliations related to the organizations discussed. Not a recommendation to buy or sell. Always do additional research and consult a professional before purchasing a security. The author holds no licenses.

2 Responses

  1. Selfish Quebec, the Transcanada pipeline already has five 48 in gas lines to Montreal and the objective was to switch one to Oil for export and build a line from Montreal to the east coast. Time to put Canada ahead on the Quebec arrogance. Perhaps Trump tariffs shutting down the dairy and aluminum industry in Quebec and stopping the endless transfer payments might reflect reality to Quebec. We can no longer rely on the US as our only market or for our national security.

  2. WAKE-UP Blanchet!!!! As a country we need to unite to STOP Satan Trump!!!
    Canada has a lot of very smart people, I am sure we can do this right with no danger to anyone.
    As a country we need the RESOLVE to do this and the sooner the better.

Video Articles

Eldorado Gold: The $3.8 Billion Foran Mining Acquisition

Silver Tiger’s $2.35B Silver Blueprint: Two Mines, One Perfect Metals Market

Gold Is At Records. Barrick Mining Is Printing Cash. The Stock Still Fell. | Q4 Earnings

Recommended

First Majestic Q4 2025: Record Revenue, Earnings, Annual Silver Output

Canadian Copper Plans 2,500 Metre Drill Program For 2026

Related News

Canadian MP Fails In Bid To Sever Ties From British Monarchy

On Wednesday, an overwhelming majority of MPs voted to block Bloc Quebecois leader Yves-Francois Blanchet’s...

Thursday, October 27, 2022, 10:37:47 AM

Quebec Blocks Energy East Pipeline Revival Plans

Quebec Premier Francois Legault rejected on Tuesday the revival of the Energy East pipeline project,...

Wednesday, February 5, 2025, 01:15:00 PM

Lion Electric Buses Remain Out of Service as Quebec Extends Safety Reviews

Lion Electric school buses remain off Quebec roads Monday as safety inspections continue following last...
Monday, September 15, 2025, 08:20:21 AM

Parti Québécois Pushes Again For Independent Quebec, “A Friendly Neighbour” To Canada

Parti Québécois Leader Paul St-Pierre Plamondon, unveiling an updated version of a Year 1 budget...

Tuesday, October 24, 2023, 04:26:00 PM

Brookfield Nears Colonial Pipeline Deal As Canada’s Carney Maintains Pipeline Restrictions

Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney has rejected calls to repeal controversial pipeline legislation even as...

Thursday, April 3, 2025, 03:01:00 PM