Ontario Defiant on Energy Tax Despite Trump’s Tariff Delay

A one-month reprieve on US tariffs won’t change Ontario’s plan to impose a 25% surcharge on electricity exports to three American states, Premier Doug Ford confirmed Thursday.

The energy tax, set to begin Monday, targets power supplied to approximately 1.5 million homes and businesses in New York, Michigan, and Minnesota. It comes as part of a broader provincial response to trade tensions that erupted when the US imposed tariffs on Canadian goods earlier this week.

“We have learned one thing. You touch a stove and you burn yourself, you don’t touch that stove again,” Ford told Fox Business, emphasizing his government’s resolve despite President Donald Trump’s announcement temporarily exempting many Canadian and Mexican goods from tariffs until April 2.

Ford’s administration has already implemented several countermeasures, including:

  • Removing roughly 3,600 US products from provincial liquor control board shelves
  • Canceling a $100 million contract with Starlink, Elon Musk’s satellite internet company
  • Prohibiting American companies from bidding on approximately $15 billion in government procurement contracts

The provincial leader has even warned he could escalate the situation further. During an interview with Newstalk 1010 radio, Ford said he would increase the electricity export tax to 50% if Trump’s “economic attack” on Canada continued.

Ford noted in a Fox Business appearance that the temporary US tariff exemption covers only 62% of Canadian goods under the North American free trade agreement, leaving many products still subject to a 25% tariff.


Information for this story was found via the sources and companies mentioned. The author has no securities or affiliations related to the organizations discussed. Not a recommendation to buy or sell. Always do additional research and consult a professional before purchasing a security. The author holds no licenses.

Video Articles

First Majestic Q1 Earnings: A Bang Up Quarter

Copper’s Structural Shortage May Be Here to Stay | Colin Joudrie – Selkirk Copper

Why Barrick’s “Strong” Quarter Wasn’t So Strong | Q1 2026 Earnings

Recommended

Altamira Gold Extends Maria Bonita Footprint with 110 Metre Step-Out

Son of Mango Founder Arrested Over Billionaire Father’s Fatal Cliff Fall

Related News

Trump Wages War With The World With Global Tariffs

President Donald Trump has imposed a sweeping set of tariffs that could fundamentally alter global...

Tuesday, April 1, 2025, 02:17:00 PM

New China Package Tariffs Set to Impact Temu, Shein

President Donald Trump signed an order on Tuesday to raise duties on packages valued under...

Thursday, April 10, 2025, 03:56:00 PM

580K Trust Shortfall Triggers Real Estate Broker’s Account Freeze

Ontario’s real estate regulator has frozen the bank accounts of HomeLife Today Realty after a...

Sunday, December 14, 2025, 07:36:00 AM

Trump’s Turbulence Pushes Global Funds Away From US Investment

Signs are emerging that global pension funds are losing confidence in the US, with some...

Tuesday, April 15, 2025, 09:47:00 AM

Report: Ontario On The Brink Of Energy Crisis

A startling report from the North American Electric Reliability Corporation (NERC), an electricity regulator, warns...

Tuesday, June 6, 2023, 10:59:26 AM