Sunday, February 22, 2026

Latest

OSC Withdraws Charges Against CannTrust Officials Following Inaccurate Witness Testimony

The Ontario Securities Commission withdrew its case against three CannTrust officials initially charged with securities offences including fraud, after a major witness conceded they made incorrect statements in their testimony.

In an Ontario provincial court on Wednesday, OSC’s lawyer said the regulator won’t proceed with its case against former CannTrust CEO Peter Aceto, former chairman Eric Paul, and former director Lark Litwin, after the defendants’ lawyer pressed key witness Graham Lee to admit his testimony was inaccurate. The trio were accused of growing cannabis in eight unlicensed rooms, whilst Litwin and Paul were also charged with insider trading after they sold the company’s stock despite willfully knowing cannabis was being grown without adequate licensing.

Following a Health Canada inspection in 2019, numerous CannTrust employees were terminated and the company was slapped with several class action lawsuits, ultimately prompting a bankruptcy filing. The OSC brought Lee, who served as CannTrust’s quality compliance manager, as one of its key witnesses against the company. During his initial testimony last week, he unveiled it was common knowledge among CannTrust employees that the rooms were being used to grow “unlicensed” cannabis, which he at the time relayed to Aceto.

However, when the defendants’ lawyer pressed Lee about his initial statement, he walked back the claim. The witness admitted he incorrectly used the term “unlicensed” when describing the cannabis growing in the eight rooms. He affirmed the facility did in fact have adequate licensing to grow the plants, but the only paperwork absent was ministerial approval— a regulatory piece he acknowledged Health Canada would view only as non-compliant, rather than illegal. Litwin’s lawyer, Scott Fenton, asked Lee if he “used the wrong terminology” when referencing the company’s licensing for the rooms.

“Yes,” Lee responded. “Were you confused regarding the operation of the Cannabis Act and its regulations,” Fenton asked, to which Lee said, “at times.” When pressed further by Aceto’s lawyer Frank Addario regarding his prior testimony that CannTrust officials knew cannabis was being grown in unlicensed rooms, Lee admitted it was incorrect terminology. “The facility was in fact licensed?” Addario asked. “Yes,” Lee replied.

OSC lawyer Dihim Emami said the case against the trio will be withdrawn because “there’s no reasonable prospect of conviction” in light of the revelations. the former CannTrust officials’ lawyers requested Justice Victor Giourgas grant the three men full acquittal, but Emami asked for a one-day adjournment in order to resume case law.

Information for this briefing was found via the Globe and Mail. The author has no securities or affiliations related to the organizations discussed. Not a recommendation to buy or sell. Always do additional research and consult a professional before purchasing a security. The author holds no licenses.

Video Articles

Can the World Actually Supply $6 Copper? | Greg Ferron – PTX Metals

1911 Gold: The Power Of A Mine Restart

Is Gold Repeating the 2005 Setup Before The Big Run? | Geordie Mark

Recommended

Goliath Resources Sees 13% Grade Boost As Stifel Draws Parallels To Great Bear

First Majestic Q4 2025: Record Revenue, Earnings, Annual Silver Output

Related News

Scotts Miracle-Gro Subsidiary Sues TerrAscend’s Jason Wild For Violating Federal Law

The Scotts Miracle-Gro Company (NYSE: SMG) subsidiary Hawthorne has sued cannabis operator TerrAscend Corp (CSE:...

Wednesday, February 8, 2023, 02:16:00 PM

CannTrust To Be Removed from S&P/TSX Composite

This evening S&P Dow Jones Indices released the rebalancing results for the S&P/TSX Composite Index....

Friday, September 13, 2019, 08:39:45 PM

Canntrust Holdings Sees Health Canada Reinstate Cannabis Licenses At Fenwick Facility

Canntrust Holdings (OTC: CTST) appears to, somehow, be on the mend. The company announced this...

Friday, May 29, 2020, 08:02:15 AM

DEA Reports Fentanyl As “Nation’s Greatest Drug Threat”, THC Potency At All-Time High

DEA Administrator Anne Milgram unveiled the 2024 National Drug Threat Assessment (NDTA), a comprehensive strategic...

Friday, May 10, 2024, 11:46:00 AM

MedMen’s Chief Operating Officer and General Counsel Resign

Today MedMen announced the resignation of their COO, Ben Cook, and their General Counsel, Lisa...

Friday, April 19, 2019, 06:35:46 PM