Ottawa Scraps DST To Court US Back To Trade Table

Canada killed its 3% Digital Services Tax just hours before the first payments were due, a move meant to coax Washington back to the table—but one that simultaneously revives the chronic Canada-US trade headache Ottawa thought it had left in 2018.

Finance Minister François-Philippe Champagne said the repeal is designed “to make vital progress” toward a wider economic-and-security accord Prime Minister Mark Carney and President Donald Trump now aim to seal by July 2025.

The about-face follows Trump’s abrupt decision on Friday to “terminate” talks over Ottawa’s plan to tax large digital platforms such as Amazon, Netflix, and Meta retroactively to 2022—an estimated $3 billion hit to US firms.

“Trade talks will be stopped ‘until such time as they drop certain taxes,’” the president told Fox News, branding Canada “very nasty to deal with.”

Initially, Ottawa took a hard stance, rebuffing industry pleas and US pressure to postpone the DST for 30 days and insisting the levy would bite on schedule. The about face, Carney said, is taking into consideration the “negotiations on a new economic and security relationship between Canada and the United States.”

Analysts had long warned the DST was vulnerable. As political strategist Evan Scrimshaw worte on X, it was “very little chance the DST survives,” and Ottawa’s retreat underscores that reality.

Yet Trump’s broader target—Canada’s supply management regime for dairy, eggs and poultry—remains firmly in place. Parliament reinforced that red line last week with Bill C-202, which bars trade negotiators from offering tariff-quota concessions in those sectors, locking Carney into a defensive crouch before talks even resume.


Information for this briefing was found via The Globe And Mail and the sources mentioned. The author has no securities or affiliations related to this organization. Not a recommendation to buy or sell. Always do additional research and consult a professional before purchasing a security. The author holds no licenses.

One Response

  1. I wish we had waited a little longer….Trump will see us as backing down quickly to his bullying. If we get nothing for it…..offensive action is what I expect. Enough of this bully to the South.

Video Articles

First Majestic Q1 Earnings: A Bang Up Quarter

Copper’s Structural Shortage May Be Here to Stay | Colin Joudrie – Selkirk Copper

Why Barrick’s “Strong” Quarter Wasn’t So Strong | Q1 2026 Earnings

Recommended

Questcorp Wraps Expanded Drone Survey at La Union as Summer Drilling Approaches

Altamira Gold Extends Maria Bonita Footprint with 110 Metre Step-Out

Related News

Trump Holds The Dairy Line In CUSMA Talks

President Donald Trump kept dairy as a non-negotiable in any new North American trade arrangement...

Wednesday, October 8, 2025, 12:18:00 PM

Ottawa Counters Trump’s Auto Tariffs With Relief Program

Canadian officials unveiled a plan Tuesday to exempt car manufacturers with ongoing operations in Canada...

Wednesday, April 16, 2025, 02:18:00 PM

Canadians Moving To US Hits Decade High: “With Trudeau, I Have To Get Out Of Here”

Tens of thousands of Canadians are emigrating from Canada to the United States, reaching levels...

Thursday, May 30, 2024, 01:44:11 PM

Joly Warns “Everything Is On The Table” As Retaliation To Trump’s Tariff Threat

Canadian Foreign Affairs Minister Mélanie Joly has signaled a willingness to consider cutting off Alberta’s...

Monday, January 13, 2025, 02:18:00 PM

Carney: Canada-US Partnership “Is Over”

Prime Minister Mark Carney declared that the long-standing partnership between Canada and the United States...

Saturday, March 29, 2025, 11:28:00 AM