Postmedia Announces Fresh Round of Layoffs, Cuts 11% of Editorial Staff

Postmedia Network will be introducing new cost-cutting measures including cutting 11% of editorial staff from titles across Canada, according to CWA Canada union president Martin O’Hanlon, which represents some of the media company’s journalists.

The cuts were announced in an internal town hall on Tuesday, following a company memo last week that said that an unspecified number of roles will be cut over the coming months through layoffs or by not filling vacancies.

Company filings show that since 2015, Postmedia has shrunk its workforce by more than half to just 2,098 as of August last year.

O’Hanlon expects that because the smaller outlets are already operating with as few as four people on staff, the new round of layoffs will primarily impact the media company’s bigger operations. Postmedia owns about 130 titles including the National Post, Vancouver Sun, and Calgary Herald.

Postmedia has been hit with the “perfect storm,” president and CEO Andrew MacLeod told employees last week, referring to falling revenue and rising costs due to inflation. The company’s advertising and circulation revenues continued to decline while costs ballooned in its most recent quarter. The company reported a $15.9 million loss in the fourth quarter of 2022 compared to $4.4 million in the same period the year before.

“We need to have our costs be more in balance with the revenue environment that we find ourselves in,” he added.

A wave of cost-cutting measures will be implemented across the company. Last week, it announced that it will be moving 12 Alberta community newspapers to a digital-only format beginning at the end of February. A building in Saskatoon will also be sold, while offices in Regina will be sublet. All Saskatchewan-based employees will permanently work remotely.

Ahead of these changes, Postmedia announced last week that it sold the Calgary Herald building to U-Haul Co for $17.25 million.


Information for this story was found via The Globe and Mail, Toronto Star, CTV News, and the sources and companies mentioned. The author has no securities or affiliations related to the organizations discussed. Not a recommendation to buy or sell. Always do additional research and consult a professional before purchasing a security. The author holds no licenses.

Video Articles

First Majestic Q1 Earnings: A Bang Up Quarter

Copper’s Structural Shortage May Be Here to Stay | Colin Joudrie – Selkirk Copper

Why Barrick’s “Strong” Quarter Wasn’t So Strong | Q1 2026 Earnings

Recommended

Questcorp Wraps Expanded Drone Survey at La Union as Summer Drilling Approaches

Altamira Gold Extends Maria Bonita Footprint with 110 Metre Step-Out

Related News

Microsoft, Google, Meta Just Had Their Best AI Quarter Ever—and Their Workers Paid for It

Microsoft (Nasdaq: MSFT), Alphabet (Nasdaq: GOOGL), Amazon (Nasdaq: AMZN), and Meta (Nasdaq: META) all reported...

Thursday, April 30, 2026, 12:09:00 AM

A Recent Survey Shows That Many More U.S. and Canadian Small Business Owners Plan to Implement Layoffs in December

Seemingly each day a large technology or financial services company announces layoff plans or is...

Sunday, December 18, 2022, 10:24:00 AM

Stellantis to Cut 1,100 Jobs at Ohio Jeep Plant

Stellantis (NYSE: STLA) announced Wednesday the layoff of approximately 1,100 workers at its Toledo, Ohio...

Thursday, November 7, 2024, 06:56:33 AM

Epic Games to Cut 16% of Its Workforce, ‘We’ve Been Spending Way More Money Than We Earn’

Fortnite developer Epic Games is set to lay off approximately 16% of its workforce, according...

Friday, September 29, 2023, 02:52:00 PM

Leaked Audio Surfaces as Meta Begins Laying Off 8,000 Workers

Meta‘s 8,000-person layoff round began on Wednesday, with notification emails sent to affected employees globally...

Wednesday, May 20, 2026, 04:00:02 AM