TikTok Returns to US App Stores After Trump Intervention

TikTok resumed service on US app stores Thursday after President Donald Trump signed an executive order delaying a nationwide ban, marking a dramatic shift in the social media platform’s status.

The Chinese-owned app, used by 170 million Americans, temporarily disappeared from Google Play and Apple’s App Store last month before Trump intervened. His order gives parent company ByteDance until April 5 to secure a US-based buyer or face a complete ban.

Trump, in his first term, wanted to block TikTok over national security concerns. He has since had a change of heart because of his growing influence on the platform, with a following of nearly 15 million users. He claimed in December that he has a “warm spot” in his heart for the platform because he “won youth by 34 points” and that “there are those that say TikTok had something to do with that.”

Election data shows former Vice President Kamala Harris led young voters 52% to 48%.

The app faces pressure from legislation Biden signed requiring Chinese tech companies to sell their US operations or face restrictions. This law grants federal authorities unprecedented control over foreign-owned social media platforms.

Analysts estimate the US operations pricetag to be at $50 billion. Potential buyers include former LA Dodgers owner Frank McCourt, YouTuber MrBeast, billionaire Kevin O’Leary, and Oracle co-founder Larry Ellison. 

Related: Is MrBeast Buying TikTok? 

Elon Musk, owner of X and rising star of the Oval Office, has rejected claims that he’s also interested in buying the platform.  

Trump may extend the April deadline further, with final decisions expected next month.


Information for this story was found via the sources and companies mentioned. The author has no securities or affiliations related to the organizations discussed. Not a recommendation to buy or sell. Always do additional research and consult a professional before purchasing a security. The author holds no licenses.

Video Articles

First Majestic Q1 Earnings: A Bang Up Quarter

Copper’s Structural Shortage May Be Here to Stay | Colin Joudrie – Selkirk Copper

Why Barrick’s “Strong” Quarter Wasn’t So Strong | Q1 2026 Earnings

Recommended

Questcorp Wraps Expanded Drone Survey at La Union as Summer Drilling Approaches

Altamira Gold Extends Maria Bonita Footprint with 110 Metre Step-Out

Related News

Trump’s Proposed Canadian Oil Tariffs Could Surge Gas Prices

In a controversial move, former U.S. President Donald Trump has floated the idea of imposing...

Friday, September 6, 2024, 11:52:34 AM

Zelensky Says He’s Discussing US Troop Deployment With Trump

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky said Tuesday he is discussing the possibility of American military presence...

Wednesday, December 31, 2025, 03:10:00 PM

As Trump Hikes China Tariffs To 145%, O’Leary Calls For…400%

“Shark Tank” investor Kevin O’Leary called for more — way more — punitive trade measures...

Friday, April 11, 2025, 10:33:00 AM

Key Trump Ally Dana White’s Appointment To Meta Board Sparks Debate Over Expertise and Politics

Meta Platforms Inc. (NASDAQ: META), the parent company of Facebook, Instagram, and WhatsApp, announced Monday...

Tuesday, January 7, 2025, 03:48:00 PM

Inside Qatar’s Record $1.2T Commitments to the US

Qatar’s multi‐billion‐dollar pledges to the US represent more than a show of economic muscle—they reveal...

Thursday, May 15, 2025, 04:01:00 PM