X Complies with India’s Order to Block Thousands of Pakistani Accounts

India has ordered social media platform X to block more than 8,000 accounts, a measure the company is implementing despite expressing concerns about its implications for free speech.

The platform acknowledged Thursday it had begun restricting access to the specified accounts within India’s borders. In a public statement, X said complying with the directive was difficult but necessary to maintain service in the country.

The action comes amid heightened hostilities between India and Pakistan following a deadly attack in Kashmir two weeks ago that killed 26 people, which Indian authorities blamed on Pakistan-backed militants.

According to X, the Indian government provided no evidence or justification for many of the restrictions. The platform described the wholesale blocking as unnecessary and contrary to free speech principles.

Border violence has intensified, with at least 48 casualties reported as both nations accused each other of conducting cross-border drone strikes on Thursday.

While X did not identify specific affected accounts, multiple Indian news outlets reported that profiles belonging to Pakistani politicians, cricketers and entertainers were among those restricted.

The crackdown extends beyond X, with Indian authorities also banning over a dozen Pakistani YouTube channels for allegedly spreading provocative content.

Social media has become an information battleground during the conflict, with users circulating misleading content including manipulated videos and unrelated images falsely connected to current events.

X indicated it would continue providing service in India while encouraging affected users to pursue legal remedies through the court system.



Information for this story was found via the sources and companies mentioned. The author has no securities or affiliations related to the organizations discussed. Not a recommendation to buy or sell. Always do additional research and consult a professional before purchasing a security. The author holds no licenses.

Video Articles

First Majestic Q1 Earnings: A Bang Up Quarter

Copper’s Structural Shortage May Be Here to Stay | Colin Joudrie – Selkirk Copper

Why Barrick’s “Strong” Quarter Wasn’t So Strong | Q1 2026 Earnings

Recommended

Canada Confirms First Hantavirus Case Linked to MV Hondius Cruise Ship Outbreak

Altamira Gold Extends Maria Bonita Porphyry System Westward With 70.6 Metres At 0.51 g/t Hit

Related News

Linda Yaccarino to Meet with X’s Lenders, Says Platform Should Turn Profit by 2024

Linda Yaccarino, the CEO of X, the platform formerly known as Twitter, is set to...

Friday, September 29, 2023, 04:28:00 PM

House Republicans Request Twitter’s Board Retain all Records of Elon Musk’s Offer to Purchase Company

A number of House Republicans are calling on Twitter’s (NYSE: TWTR) board of directors to...

Saturday, April 23, 2022, 11:17:00 AM

Fidelity Cuts Value Of Twitter By 71% From Purchase Price

Fidelity Investments has further reduced the valuation of its shares in X Holdings, previously known...

Monday, January 1, 2024, 12:06:00 PM

Elon Musk Is Running Out of Ways To Get Twitter To Make Money, Reportedly Considering Username Auctions

Twitter’s new owner Elon Musk is finding more ways to make the company’s $44 billion...

Thursday, January 12, 2023, 12:54:28 PM

Twitter: BMO Raises Prices Target To $70

Twitter Inc (NYSE: TWTR) on July 22 reported their second quarter earnings, beating analysts’ estimates....

Monday, August 2, 2021, 02:02:00 PM