Battle Over Solomon Islands Continues to Heat Up, China Yells ‘Fake News’ at US and Aussies

After mulling an expansion of China’s military presence in the Solomon Islands, the pacific nation’s prime minister Manasseh Sogavare officially signed the security pact with Beijing last week, to the ire of Western powers.

Although details of the pact remain unclear, a previously leaked draft document unveiled by Reuters suggested that the Solomon Islands government would allow Chinese warships to dock at any ports on the island country, while Chinese police would be deployed to maintain social order.

“We intend to beef up and strengthen our police capability to deal with any future instability by properly equipping the police to take full responsibility of the country’s security responsibilities, in the hope we will never be required to invoke any of our bilateral security arrangements,” Sogavare told parliament members last week, assuring the pact is in compliance with domestic and international law.

The Solomon Islands already has similar security pacts in place with Australia, New Zealand, and Papua New Guinea; however, the move still raised concerns among Western powers, who accused China of using the deal as a gateway to build a military base on the Pacific nation. “I share the same red line that the United States has when it comes to these issues,” said Australian prime minister Scott Morrison over the weekend. We won’t be having Chinese military naval bases in our region on our doorstep.”

Beijing, for its part, assured that the pact is merely “normal exchange and cooperation between two sovereign and independent countries,” while the country’s foreign ministry spokesperson Wang Wenbin said that Australia’s speculation about the construction of a military base is completely fake news. “Rather than preaching fake information on China for personal political purposes, I suggest some Australian politicians to honestly answer the concerns of people at home and abroad,” he told reporters on Monday, as cited by the Global Times.


Information for this briefing was found via Reuters, the Global Times, and Bloomberg. The author has no securities or affiliations related to this organization. Not a recommendation to buy or sell. Always do additional research and consult a professional before purchasing a security. The author holds no licenses.

Video Articles

First Majestic Q1 Earnings: A Bang Up Quarter

Copper’s Structural Shortage May Be Here to Stay | Colin Joudrie – Selkirk Copper

Why Barrick’s “Strong” Quarter Wasn’t So Strong | Q1 2026 Earnings

Recommended

Altamira Gold Extends Maria Bonita Porphyry System Westward With 70.6 Metres At 0.51 g/t Hit

Antimony Resources Reports 13.9% Antimony in Latest Drill Core at Bald Hill

Related News

China’s Economy Suffers Largest Slump Since 1960’s

China, from which the first coronavirus outbreak began, has now begun the recovery period by...

Saturday, April 18, 2020, 12:00:00 PM

Beijing Reportedly Warns EU Against A Russian Defeat in War With Ukraine

Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi has told the EU’s top diplomat Kaja Kallas that Beijing...

Friday, July 4, 2025, 10:32:00 AM

Iraq Rocks Petrodollar Supremacy, Looks To Trade With China In Yuan

In an effort to improve access to foreign currency, Iraq’s central bank announced on Wednesday...

Friday, February 24, 2023, 09:26:38 AM

China Purchasing Canadian Gold Miners Amid Gold Rally

As the coronavirus pandemic significantly impaired economies around the world and seeded uncertainty and volatility...

Saturday, June 13, 2020, 05:46:00 PM

DeepSeek Assisted Military, Evaded US Export Controls, Official Says

Chinese artificial intelligence company DeepSeek has provided user data to China’s government and military while...

Tuesday, June 24, 2025, 02:52:00 PM