British Columbia’s Eby Also Plans Anti-Tariff US Ads After Ford Drew Trump’s Ire

  • BC Premier David Eby said he will fund US advertising to argue tariffs raise prices, adding a second provincial campaign after Ontario’s.

While Ontario Premier Doug Ford drew the ire of President Donald Trump on his Reagan ad, BC Premier David Eby moved to make matters worse for Canada’s fraught trade climate by announcing he will also spend public funds on US ads urging Americans to reject tariffs.

“Americans need to hear how tariffs raise prices. We’re making ads to defend British Columbia and Canada’s forestry workers. Our wood faces higher US tariffs than Russia. Absurd. Truth will win!” he wrote on X, signaling creative that centers on consumer costs and BC’s softwood exposure.

Commentary accounts amplified that the effort will use taxpayer money and will mirror Ontario’s approach that triggered fresh tensions, positioning Eby as adding a second provincial voice into a bilateral file traditionally run by Ottawa.

Canadian softwood lumber faces a combined cash-deposit rate of 35.16% under the US Department of Commerce’s determinations, with company-specific rates such as Canfor (around 47%) and West Fraser (around 26%). These are separate from the additional Section 232 tariff of 10% on softwood timber and lumber imposed by the Trump administration. Meanwhile, the United States revoked permanent normal trade relations with Russia in April 2022, subjecting Russian goods to specially set rates rather than any single flat rate, and the 10% Section 232 lumber tariff applies regardless of origin.

BC’s 2025-26 budget projects a deficit of $10.9 billion, which rose to $11.6 billion in the September 2025 Q1 update. This reflects declining revenues from the forestry sector, with the 2025 Financial and Economic Review recording forests revenue $175 million below budget.

Earlier this month, Ford launched a $75-million anti-tariff ad campaign in the US markets using a Ronald Reagan clip, said he would pull the ads but only after the weekend so they ran during the World Series, and framed the buy as a push to show Americans that tariffs raise prices. Trump reacted by ending trade talks and announcing an additional 10% tariff on Canada “over and above what they are paying now,” calling the ad misleading.


Information for this story was found via the sources and companies mentioned. The author has no securities or affiliations related to the organizations discussed. Not a recommendation to buy or sell. Always do additional research and consult a professional before purchasing a security. The author holds no licenses.

One Response

Video Articles

First Majestic Q1 Earnings: A Bang Up Quarter

Copper’s Structural Shortage May Be Here to Stay | Colin Joudrie – Selkirk Copper

Why Barrick’s “Strong” Quarter Wasn’t So Strong | Q1 2026 Earnings

Recommended

Questcorp Wraps Expanded Drone Survey at La Union as Summer Drilling Approaches

Altamira Gold Extends Maria Bonita Footprint with 110 Metre Step-Out

Related News

It’s Gonna Be Huge: Shein, Temu Roll Out Big US Price Hikes as Trump Tariffs Bite

Kitchen towels went up by 377% overnight....
Monday, April 28, 2025, 10:34:00 AM

Trump Launches New Tariffs On Drugs And Metals

President Donald Trump on Thursday launched a new tariff offensive centered on pharmaceuticals and industrial...

Friday, April 3, 2026, 11:53:53 AM

US To Delay Mexico Tariffs By A Month

The trade war between Mexico and the United States has evidently been delayed. Mexican President...

Monday, February 3, 2025, 10:50:39 AM

Tariff Talk With Trump: Ultimatum Anew Given To Europe To Buy U.S. Oil And Gas Or Face Tariffs

As the clock ticks down to his inauguration, U.S. President-elect Donald Trump has issued a...

Friday, December 20, 2024, 03:54:00 PM

The Bet Howard Lutnick’s Sons Made Against Trump’s Tariffs Just Paid Off

The US government opened a $166 billion tariff refund portal on Monday — and questions...

Tuesday, April 21, 2026, 12:46:23 AM