Trump Open to Sending Prisoners to El Salvador

El Salvador offered last week to take custody of US prisoners and house them in its mega-prison for a fee, a proposal that President Donald Trump and Elon Musk not surprisingly welcomed.

“We are willing to take in only convicted criminals (including convicted US citizens) into our mega-prison (CECOT) in exchange for a fee,” Bukele wrote on X on Monday.

Trump endorsed the idea on Tuesday, telling reporters that sending prisoners abroad would be “a lot less expensive and it would be a great deterrent” to crime. “If we could get these animals out of our country, and put them in a different country under the supervision of somebody that made a small fee to maintain these people […] frankly they can keep them,” Trump added.

Secretary of State Marco Rubio called it “a very generous offer” but noted constitutional and legal hurdles. “Obviously, we’ll have to study it on our end; there are obviously legalities involved,” Rubio said after meeting with Bukele this week.

El Salvador recently surpassed other nations to become the country with the highest incarceration rate per capita. The Central American nation operates a prison labor program called “Plan Zero Idleness,” where inmates work without pay in construction, agriculture, and manufacturing.

Flashback: Max Keiser Wants to ‘Settle the Score’ with Donald Trump After Comments Against El Salvador’s Nayib Bukele

Legal experts point out that US courts have historically prevented the deportation of American citizens. The transfer of US citizens to serve sentences abroad for crimes committed domestically would face significant constitutional challenges.

Days before this offer, Bukele released footage showing prisoners working in factory settings, describing it as part of a rehabilitation program that excludes those convicted of rape and murder.

The US maintains the world’s largest prison population, while El Salvador has expanded its penal system significantly under Bukele’s administration.


Information for this story was found via the sources and companies mentioned. The author has no securities or affiliations related to the organizations discussed. Not a recommendation to buy or sell. Always do additional research and consult a professional before purchasing a security. The author holds no licenses.

Video Articles

First Majestic Q1 Earnings: A Bang Up Quarter

Copper’s Structural Shortage May Be Here to Stay | Colin Joudrie – Selkirk Copper

Why Barrick’s “Strong” Quarter Wasn’t So Strong | Q1 2026 Earnings

Recommended

Canada Confirms First Hantavirus Case Linked to MV Hondius Cruise Ship Outbreak

Altamira Gold Extends Maria Bonita Porphyry System Westward With 70.6 Metres At 0.51 g/t Hit

Related News

Trump Is Back For 2024, But Not With Top GOP Megadonors, Daughter Ivanka

He may have once said, “we’re gonna win so much, you may even get tired...

Wednesday, November 16, 2022, 09:51:00 AM

Bitcoin Reaches Record High Following Trump Win

Bitcoin reached unprecedented heights on Thursday, surpassing $76,600 and leading a broad cryptocurrency market rally...

Thursday, November 7, 2024, 03:18:00 PM

Donald Trump’s Attorney-Client Privilege Could Be Bypassed, Judge Rules

A US district judge last week ruled that Donald Trump’s lawyer could be compelled to...

Wednesday, March 22, 2023, 06:52:23 PM

Tensions Escalate In The Brewing Civil War Between Trump and Newsom

In a dramatic escalation of political tensions, California Governor Gavin Newsom publicly threatened to withhold...

Monday, June 9, 2025, 10:47:00 AM

“Legal Coup”: Diving Deep On Supreme Court’s Immunity Ruling For Donald Trump

Some say it’s the day the law died; some say it’s a clear display of...

Tuesday, July 2, 2024, 12:27:00 PM