“Twitter Will Not Take Yes For An Answer,” Says Elon Musk As He Attempts To Avoid Lawsuit

Twitter (NYSE: TWTR) and Elon Musk seemed to have yet again disagreed on the proposed US$44 billion takeover deal after the social media company is said to have rejected the terms put forth by the billionaire.

The Tesla chief is being sued by the Twitter board for attempting to renege on the agreement to buy Twitter at US$54.20. As the duo heads for legal battle with first trial set on October 17, Musk recently made a sudden 180o and announced through an SEC filing that he would proceed with the deal after all.

Apparently, this is one of his camp’s requirements to honor the original deal: drop the lawsuit.

“There is no need for an expedited trial to order defendants to do what they are already doing,” said Musk’s counsel. “Yet, Twitter will not take yes for an answer. Astonishingly they have insisted on proceeding with this litigation, recklessly putting the deal at risk and gambling with their stockholders interests.”

The social media giant, however, maintained it doesn’t want to suspend litigation until the deal pushes through. The firm is concerned about the “theoretical possibility of a future failure to obtain debt financing” on Musk’s part, noting that one bank involved in financing the transaction testified this week that it had gotten no notification from Musk about plans to proceed.

“Defendants can and should close next week,” the company said. “Until defendants commit to close as required, Twitter is entitled to its day in court.”

Twitter said in its complaint that Musk was concerned about the sum he had promised to pay, following a dramatic drop in the value of tech stocks, particularly Tesla, the electric vehicle firm he heads and the source of much of his wealth.

Twitter’s concerns have also been boosted by the recent reports that Apollo Global Management Inc (NYSE: APO) and Sixth Street Partners are backing out of the deal to provide financing. However, Musk quelled the rumor by validating a tweet explaining that the two investment firms were never part of the previously announced equity financing.

Delaware Judge Kathaleen McCormick, who’s handling the case, has postponed the trial to October 28 to give the two parties time to work out a deal.

Twitter last traded at US$49.02 on the NYSE.


Information for this briefing was found via BBC and the sources mentioned. The author has no securities or affiliations related to this organization. Not a recommendation to buy or sell. Always do additional research and consult a professional before purchasing a security. The author holds no licenses.

Video Articles

First Majestic Q1 Earnings: A Bang Up Quarter

Copper’s Structural Shortage May Be Here to Stay | Colin Joudrie – Selkirk Copper

Why Barrick’s “Strong” Quarter Wasn’t So Strong | Q1 2026 Earnings

Recommended

Questcorp Wraps Expanded Drone Survey at La Union as Summer Drilling Approaches

Altamira Gold Extends Maria Bonita Footprint with 110 Metre Step-Out

Related News

France’s AFP Sues Elon Musk’s Twitter/X for Refusal to Pay For Links Shared on the Platform

Agence France-Presse (AFP) has recently announced that it is pursuing legal action against X, the...

Saturday, August 5, 2023, 09:07:00 AM

Jack Dorsey Stepping Down as Twitter CEO

Shares of Twitter (NYSE: TWTR) were sent downward Monday morning, after news broke that the...

Tuesday, November 30, 2021, 10:17:00 AM

Morgan Stanley: SpaceX Will Help Elon Musk Become World’s First Trillionaire

Elon Musk, whom currently assumes the role of the world’s richest person, could eventually become...

Thursday, October 21, 2021, 10:10:00 AM

Twitter Ad Revenue Evaporates As Advertisers Remain Wary of Musk

New estimates show that despite huge discounts and the promise of better control with new...

Friday, April 7, 2023, 03:27:00 PM

Jack Dorsey To Begin Beta Testing New ‘Federated’ Social Network

Twitter Inc. founder and former CEO Jack Dorsey’s company Bluesky will soon be launching the...

Monday, October 31, 2022, 02:18:00 PM