Monday, May 18, 2026

EU Proposes Ban on all New Cars Powered by Combustion Engines Come 2035

Gasoline and diesel-powered vehicles may soon become obsolete across the European Union, as regulators push for more stringent emissions-reducing rules.

According to Politico, which cited EU officials familiar with the latest proposals, new vehicles that are powered by internal combustion engines may soon be banned across Europe come 2035, as the bloc heightens its efforts in meeting zero-emission targets. The officials said that the drastic rule is being considered as an inclusion in the EU’s upcoming ‘Green Deal,’ which would make the bloc “climate neutral” in the next 30 years.

The European Commission is mulling raising its target for 2030 to require a 60% reduction in vehicle emissions, which is significantly more aggressive than the current proposal that calls for a 37.5% carbon emission reduction. In fact, according to the officials, that target could even reach 100% by 2035— thus completely outlawing all new cars with combustion engines in less than 15 years time.

However, it still remains unclear if the proposal will actually come to fruition in the final version of the bloc’s 2030 plan, which is slated for debut come July 14. The Green Deal, along with its roadmap, will then be sent to the European Parliament for approval.

Although gasoline and diesel-powered vehicles still dominate the car market, several prominent automakers, including Volkswagen and Volvo, have already announced their transition towards fully electric models before the end of decade. The EU is also not alone in mulling a complete ban on carbon-producing automobiles; at last week’s G7 summit, the UK pushed other member states to phase out vehicles that use combustion engines over the next ten years.

Information for this briefing was found via Politico. The author has no securities or affiliations related to this organization. Not a recommendation to buy or sell. Always do additional research and consult a professional before purchasing a security. The author holds no licenses.

Video Articles

First Majestic Q1 Earnings: A Bang Up Quarter

Copper’s Structural Shortage May Be Here to Stay | Colin Joudrie – Selkirk Copper

Why Barrick’s “Strong” Quarter Wasn’t So Strong | Q1 2026 Earnings

Recommended

Canada Confirms First Hantavirus Case Linked to MV Hondius Cruise Ship Outbreak

Altamira Gold Extends Maria Bonita Porphyry System Westward With 70.6 Metres At 0.51 g/t Hit

Related News

French Army Chief Emphasizes Readiness Amid Rising European Security Concerns

The chief of staff of the French Army said his forces must maintain constant readiness...

Thursday, October 2, 2025, 12:53:00 PM

First Cobalt: New Battery Technology Could Negatively Impact Cobalt Miners

Along with other cobalt miners, First Cobalt Corp. (TSXV: FCC) faces a fundamental risk related...

Tuesday, November 3, 2020, 12:51:00 PM

EU Invokes Emergency Powers to Freeze Russian Assets Indefinitely

The European Union formally activated emergency powers Thursday to lock down €210 billion in Russian...

Friday, December 12, 2025, 12:07:00 PM

Biden Is Going Against Pollution To Push EV Shift

The Biden administration is on track to propose the strictest car pollution regulations ever proposed...

Sunday, April 9, 2023, 11:16:00 AM

Texas Public Policy Foundation’s New Report Claims to ‘Unmask the True Cost’ of EVs

The Texas Public Policy Foundation (TPPF) has released a new study, “Overcharged Expectations: Unmasking the...

Saturday, October 28, 2023, 07:16:00 AM