MyPillow CEO Mike Lindell Returns To Twitter After 2021 Ban, Gets Suspended Again Just Hours Later

Mike Lindell, founder and chief executive of MyPillow announced his return to Twitter on Sunday after being banned in 2021, only to be banned again about three hours later.

The MyPillow CEO posted using a new account on Sunday afternoon, saying “Hello everybody, I’M BACK ON TWITTER. My only account is @MikeJLindell! Please RT and FOLLOW to SPREAD THE WORD.” 

He included a video of himself with the tweet to confirm the legitimacy of the new account.

“All those other ones are fake accounts and they’ve been using my name out there, so we started this account. Please share with everybody you know, let everybody you know, so we can get the word out at Twitter in case they do take it down. Thanks a lot for helping out,” he said on the video.

Lindell, who is a supporter of former US President Donald Trump, was originally banned in January 2021 for spreading misinformation about the 2020 election, violating the platform’s civic integrity policy.

The initial ban was a permanent suspension, and his return on Sunday violated the ban evasion policy, which attempts to circumvent his permanent suspension by starting a new account. 

It’s not completely clear if Lindell knew about the policy prior to rejoining the platform. This decision follows Twitter’s announcement that they will be accepting Elon Musk’s US$44 billion offer on Monday last week.

Musk’s “absolutist” take on “free speech” is said to be “politically neutral.” And while he hasn’t laid out plans yet, his recent statements have raised questions about what will happen to accounts that have been permanently banned for hate speech, violent threats or spreading harmful misinformation.

Former President Trump, who’s also been permanently banned from Twitter, has earlier said that he does not intend to rejoin to the platform in the future, even if Musk decides to lift the ban.

“I hope Elon buys Twitter because he’ll make improvements to it and he is a good man, but I am going to be staying on TRUTH,” Trump said in an interview with Fox News, speaking about his own social media platform, Truth Social.

Musk, meanwhile, who’s spoken about his priority to remove bots from the platform, has yet to lay out plans for new policies.


Information for this briefing was found via Twitter, and the sources mentioned. The author has no securities or affiliations related to this organization. Views expressed within are solely that of the author. Not a recommendation to buy or sell. Always do additional research and consult a professional before purchasing a security. The author holds no licenses.

Leave a Reply

Share
Tweet
Share