Wednesday, May 20, 2026

Putin Allegedly Rejected A Provisional Peace Deal With Ukraine That Satisfied His Initial Demands

As Russia’s war in Ukraine broke out in February, Vladimir Putin’s chief envoy to Ukraine was allegedly able to strike a provisional deal that had Kyiv agreeing to Moscow’s demand that Ukraine stays out of NATO, Reuters reported. But the Russian strongman allegedly rejected the deal and went ahead with the invasion.

The report, which cites unnamed sources close to the Russian leadership, said that the Ukrainian-born envoy, Dmitry Kozak, believed that the deal “removed the need for Russia to pursue a large-scale occupation of Ukraine.”

“After Feb. 24, Kozak was given carte blanche: they gave him the green light; he got the deal. He brought it back and they told him to clear off. Everything was canceled. Putin simply changed the plan as he went along,” one of the sources told Reuters.

Putin reportedly made it clear that the concessions Kozak negotiated “did not go far enough.” The Russian leader had already expanded his objectives, from just preventing an “existential threat” to Russia from NATO creeping closer into its borders, to annexing parts of the Ukrainian territory.

Dmitry Peskov, a Kremlin spokesman, vehemently denied the reports. “That has absolutely no relation to reality. No such thing ever happened. It is absolutely incorrect information,” he told Reuters. 

Kozak, who according to the sources remains in his post as kremlin deputy chief of staff but is no longer involved in the Ukraine dossier, did not respond to the publication’s request for comment. He has been an ally of Putin since the 1990s when the Russian leader was working at the office of the mayor of St. Petersburg.

Ukraine officials have not verified the veracity of the report. Mykhailo Podolyak, an adviser to Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky, did not confirm if a preliminary deal was reached before or shortly after the war started. What he did say was that Russia had used the negotiations as a smokescreen while it prepared to invade Ukraine.

“Today, we clearly understand that the Russian side has never been interested in a peaceful settlement,” Podolyak told Reuters.


Information for this briefing was found via Reuters, and the sources and companies mentioned. The author has no securities or affiliations related to this organization. Not a recommendation to buy or sell. Always do additional research and consult a professional before purchasing a security. The author holds no licenses.

Video Articles

First Majestic Q1 Earnings: A Bang Up Quarter

Copper’s Structural Shortage May Be Here to Stay | Colin Joudrie – Selkirk Copper

Why Barrick’s “Strong” Quarter Wasn’t So Strong | Q1 2026 Earnings

Recommended

Altamira Gold Extends Maria Bonita Footprint with 110 Metre Step-Out

Son of Mango Founder Arrested Over Billionaire Father’s Fatal Cliff Fall

Related News

Portugal’s President Says Trump Is A “Russian Asset”

Portuguese President Marcelo Rebelo de Sousa has accused President Donald Trump of being “a Russian...

Thursday, August 28, 2025, 02:51:00 PM

China-Russia: Is The Alliance Worth The Cost?

The ongoing Russia-Ukraine war incensed the much larger global conflict on trade. With the mounting...

Thursday, March 10, 2022, 02:55:00 PM

White House: Oil Companies Have A “Patriotic Duty” To Increase Production

The White House continues to go after oil refineries, pointing out that they a patriotic...

Thursday, June 16, 2022, 01:30:00 PM

Ukraine Attacks Force Russia’s Main Oil Port To Cut Exports By 50%

Russia’s Ust-Luga oil export terminal will run at roughly half capacity in September—about 350,000 barrels...

Saturday, August 30, 2025, 09:32:00 AM

Prominent Russian Economist Dies in Fall from Moscow Apartment

Valentina Bondarenko, an esteemed 82-year-old research fellow at the Center for Institutes of Socio-Economic Development...

Wednesday, July 24, 2024, 04:39:00 PM