Ottawa is claiming speed on a graphite project whose real business problem was not simply permitting, but turning a long-developed mine into a financeable supply-chain asset.
Prime Minister Mark Carney said Canada was breaking ground on Nouveau Monde Graphite’s Matawinie Mine six months after it was referred to the Major Projects Office, framing the Quebec project as evidence that Ottawa can move strategic projects faster.
The claim works only if the clock starts at the federal referral, not at the start of the mine’s development history.
We’re breaking ground on Nouveau Monde Graphite’s Matawinie Mine — just six months after we referred it to the Major Projects Office. This will become the largest graphite mine in the G7.
— Mark Carney (@MarkJCarney) May 19, 2026
It will create more than 1,000 career opportunities, catalyse nearly $2 billion of…
That distinction matters because Matawinie had already passed a major provincial gate years earlier. Quebec issued an environmental decree authorizing construction of Nouveau Monde Graphite’s Matawinie mining project in February 2021, when the company described the project as designed for 100,000 tonnes per year of high-purity graphite concentrate.
The Major Projects Office entered the file much later. Ottawa referred Matawinie to the office in November 2025 as part of a broader push to accelerate projects deemed nationally significant, including critical minerals, transport, energy, and industrial infrastructure. The federal backgrounder said Matawinie and the Bécancour Battery Materials Plant would form an integrated Quebec value chain for battery-grade graphite.
That makes Carney’s post a political-credit problem more than a simple factual error. The federal government can point to a real November-to-May sequence. Critics can point to a project record that stretches well before the Major Projects Office existed.
Another day another Mark Carney lie.
— Kirk Lubimov (@KirkLubimov) May 19, 2026
Carney is crediting his new bureaucracy level, the Major Projects Office, for the Nouveau Monde Graphite mine.
The mine started consultion in 2015, and got approvals on the project from Quebec in 2021 and been working on it since.
The only… pic.twitter.com/J9r96P2NX2
The financial claim is also better understood as a rounding of Ottawa’s investment case. Carney said the mine would catalyze nearly $2 billion of investment. The government’s November referral placed the figure at $1.8 billion, alongside more than 1,000 expected jobs and a target for construction to begin in the first quarter of 2026.
Nouveau Monde Graphite had been rebuilding its commercial stack before the groundbreaking. In October 2025, the company said General Motors and NMG had agreed to end earlier supply and investment agreements effective November 30, 2025, while NMG pursued other customer arrangements and government-backed offtake structures.
Counting six months as a short time to bring a project to groundbreaking depends on where you’re starting the count. The Matawinie announcement comes with an asterisk: Ottawa did not invent the mine in six months. It attached a mature graphite project to a federal machinery built around financing, offtake, allied supply security, and political urgency.
Information for this story was found via the sources and companies mentioned. The author has no securities or affiliations related to the organizations discussed. Not a recommendation to buy or sell. Always do additional research and consult a professional before purchasing a security. The author holds no licenses.