Doug Ford Wants To Cut Power Exports To US, Believing US Wouldn’t Do The Same

Ontario Premier Doug Ford has vowed to sever electricity exports to the US, originally proposed as retaliation against prospective American tariffs. His promise to take drastic measures if President Donald Trump follows through on a proposed 25% tariff on Canadian goods has been met with questions about whether punishing border states would ultimately damage Ontario more than it would influence federal policy in Washington.

Ford’s remarks at a recent mining convention in Toronto underscored his intent to respond forcefully, warning that he would turn off the power “with a smile on my face” if tariffs come into play.

He also hinted at a range of other reprisals, including blocking the export of nickel and pulling American liquor off provincial store shelves.

“They rely on our energy, they need to feel the pain. They want to come at us hard, we’re going to come back twice as hard,” he declared.

Over 30TW-hours of Canadian electricity were sold to American markets last year alone, generating billions in revenue for provinces like Quebec and Ontario. Threatening to cut this flow risks provoking retaliatory measures from the US, such as a halt to hosting services on American-based cloud platforms, as well as disruptions to the oil supply passing through Enbridge Line 5, which transports crucial energy resources for Ontario.

Ford has also proposed a “Buy Ontario” policy to spur domestic procurement and manufacturing, insisting municipalities will join the movement under potential new legislation.

“I know all 444 municipalities are on board, but we’re going to make sure we legislate it—that you’re buying Ontario first, Canada second,” he said.

Standing firm, Ford emphasized Monday that no option is off the table and said he would gladly match tariffs “dollar for dollar.” He even threatened to cancel a major deal with Elon Musk’s private company SpaceX, suggesting any American entity relying on Ontario’s goodwill could be targeted.

Nevertheless, observers note that Trump’s repeated shift of deadlines for imposing tariffs has left Canadian officials scrambling to respond. In his defense, Ford has stated he did not spark the tariff dispute but is determined to defend Ontario’s interests.

“If they want to try to annihilate Ontario,” Ford said, “I will do everything—including cut off their energy.”

The 25% tariff on Canadian exports to US is scheduled to take effect today, March 4.


Information for this briefing was found via Toronto Sun, Unusual Whales, and the sources mentioned. The author has no securities or affiliations related to this organization. Not a recommendation to buy or sell. Always do additional research and consult a professional before purchasing a security. The author holds no licenses.

Video Articles

Eldorado Gold: The $3.8 Billion Foran Mining Acquisition

Silver Tiger’s $2.35B Silver Blueprint: Two Mines, One Perfect Metals Market

Gold Is At Records. Barrick Mining Is Printing Cash. The Stock Still Fell. | Q4 Earnings

Recommended

Canadian Copper Plans 2,500 Metre Drill Program For 2026

Mercado Receives Permits For Planned 3,000 Metre Drill Program At Copalito

Related News

“No One’s Pushing Me Out”: President Biden Resolute in Face of Growing Pressure to Exit Race

President Joe Biden has firmly rejected calls to withdraw from the 2024 presidential race, vowing...

Thursday, July 4, 2024, 10:27:00 AM

Trump Confirms Talks Of Microsoft Buying TikTok

The fate of TikTok in the US stands another chance as Microsoft (NASDAQ: MSFT) is...

Thursday, January 30, 2025, 11:40:00 AM

Is Trump Classifying Fentanyl As A Weapon of Mass Destruction?

A draft executive order reportedly circulating in Washington has ignited debate over whether to classify...

Wednesday, March 19, 2025, 12:51:00 PM

Trump Announces $28B Subsidy For Farmers Affected By His Tariffs

Amidst the escalation of trade war jumpstarted by his tariffs, President Donald Trump has announced...

Wednesday, April 16, 2025, 11:29:00 AM

Trump Looks To Bring Critical Mineral Processing To US, Considering Price Floors

President Donald Trump is betting big on critical minerals again, signing an proclamation for the...

Thursday, January 15, 2026, 12:55:00 PM