Elon Musk Wants to Create New AI Start-Up to Compete With OpenAI

Elon Musk is reportedly developing plans to launch a new artificial intelligence start-up to compete with OpenAI, the company behind ChatGPT.

According to people familiar with the matter cited by the Financial Times, Musk is said to be assembling a team of AI researchers and engineers, and has been in discussions with investors from SpaceX and Tesla about funding a new AI venture. He has also sourced numerous high-powered GPU processors from Nvidia that will be used to create large language models to eventually compete with OpenAI.

“A bunch of people are investing in it . . . it’s real and they are excited about it,” the people said. Even though he co-founded OpenAI back in 2015, Musk has been vocal about the safety of GPT-style models, warning that as they become more advanced, they’ll be increasingly susceptible to political bias. Still, the billionaire entrepreneur isn’t shy about getting into the AI space once again.

Musk has allegedly already recruited engineers— including Igor Babuschkin, a former employee of DeepMind— and several others for his new AI venture. The new company would allow Musk to directly compete with OpenAI, which he left in 2018 amid clashes over AI safety concerns.

Musk’s new AI venture likely won’t be linked to his other companies, such as Tesla and Twitter, although he might integrate Tesla’s computing resources into the language model, as well as use Twitter content to train the model afterwards. Musk has previously expressed optimism about Tesla’s own supercomputer dubbed Dojo, which is used to train its Autopilot self-driving system, and has hinted at potentially opening it up as a service for other companies.


Information for this briefing was found via the Financial Times and the sources mentioned. The author has no securities or affiliations related to this organization. Not a recommendation to buy or sell. Always do additional research and consult a professional before purchasing a security. The author holds no licenses.

Video Articles

First Majestic Q1 Earnings: A Bang Up Quarter

Copper’s Structural Shortage May Be Here to Stay | Colin Joudrie – Selkirk Copper

Why Barrick’s “Strong” Quarter Wasn’t So Strong | Q1 2026 Earnings

Recommended

Canada Confirms First Hantavirus Case Linked to MV Hondius Cruise Ship Outbreak

Altamira Gold Extends Maria Bonita Porphyry System Westward With 70.6 Metres At 0.51 g/t Hit

Related News

X Introduces Audio and Video Call Feature — And It Can Be Used to Track Your Location

X has rolled out an audio and video call feature and now people are rushing...

Monday, March 4, 2024, 10:23:00 AM

Ross Gerber Flips on Tesla, Says “They Need to Start Creating Demand”

Tesla’s (Nasdaq: TSLA) unsold stock has Ross Gerber worried. The electric carmaker’s Q1 production and...

Tuesday, April 4, 2023, 02:01:00 PM

Elon Musk Plays Twitter God, Plans To Reactivate Banned Accounts

Elon Musk intends to reinstate nearly all previously suspended Twitter accounts. In a poll where...

Friday, November 25, 2022, 04:03:00 PM

Canada’s Deepfake Bill Expands to Cover Near-Nude Images—Closing a Grok-Exposed Loophole

A House of Commons justice committee has amended Canada’s proposed deepfake legislation to cover “nearly...

Wednesday, May 13, 2026, 05:57:49 AM

C3.ai Stock Gets Hit With A Short Report

Generative AI is going to be a really hot sector. The way the stock market...

Monday, April 10, 2023, 01:30:00 PM